The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

Game before mine, interesting situation.

Play A1 fouls out with under a minute to go. tie game. ( High school ) With less than 10 seconds to go, A calls a T.O. Players return to the floor. A1 scores the winning goal. Officials leave the floor thinking that Team A had won the game. They are notified after they leave the confines of the playing area that A1 had fouled out earlier, had not reported and was the player that scored the winning basket. what would you do?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Zebra

Play A1 fouls out with under a minute to go. tie game. ( High school ) With less than 10 seconds to go, A calls a T.O. Players return to the floor. A1 scores the winning goal. Officials leave the floor thinking that Team A had won the game. They are notified after they leave the confines of the playing area that A1 had fouled out earlier, had not reported and was the player that scored the winning basket. what would you do?

Nothing you could do except say "OOPS!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:

Nothing...once my partner and I leave the confines, the score is approved and the game is over.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Actually, once the buzzer sounds to end the game, this is a done deal.
10-5-4 penalty: Penalized if discovered while being violated.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not clear on the facts. Did A1 leave the game upon the 5th foul, or did the table and officials not notify the coach and A1 played the entire rest of the game? OR, did A1 leave the game then sneak back in after the TO?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

A1 did leave the game and returned after the TO, without checking in and no one noticed until the Referees left the floor.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I can see, there's nothing to do except for the losing team to appeal it to the state office. The state may, or may not, choose to do something about it.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A1 did leave the game and returned after the TO, without checking in and no one noticed until the Referees left the floor.
Did he leave because coach was told he'd fouled out, or did the coach just sub for him. IOW, was the coach notified at the time that his player had fouled out?

I agree with BITS, the only recourse I can see at this point is a possible forfeit enforced by the state. The officials can't do a thing except learn a lesson. Even if they had noticed, say after his shot but before the horn; his shot would count. Of course, then you get to shoot the T.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Take my coming suspension like a man.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Expect to lose some games . . . but nothing you can do once you leave the visual confines of the playing area. Have I mentioned "preventative officiating" before? Never mind.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to ask; how many would pick this up? I've had games where 3 or 4 players foul out, and I couldn’t necessarily pick them out of a lineup. If the table didn’t tell me they had 5, I wouldn't know it. If they come back in later, I wouldn’t necessarily catch it unless the table caught it. If they sneak in following a timeout, I might not catch it without the table telling me. 5 players go to the bench, and 5 come out. That's generally all I'm looking for.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'd handle it by going out to have a beverage with the other crews I usually meet on Friday nights. Drinking my beverage, I'd tell the rest of the officials how we screwed up, and take a lot of crap from them for screwing up. Then I'd watch the papers to see what the state decided to do about the problem while crossing my fingers that the assignor doesn't drop me from his scheduling list next season.