The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
In most gyms I've been in, admissions and snack sales make it a zero sum game. The extra official is covered by those revenue sources, not a bigger slice out of the budget.
Concession stand sales increase by enought to have a profit of $53 (or whatever the official's fee is) just because there's a third official on the floor?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:41am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Concession stand sales increase by enought to have a profit of $53 (or whatever the official's fee is) just because there's a third official on the floor?
Not what I meant. Admissions and concessions raise enough funds to pay all officials so it is not a matter of a budgeting decision. In most gyms.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Not what I meant. Admissions and concessions raise enough funds to pay all officials so it is not a matter of a budgeting decision. In most gyms.
But if they don't have to pay the third official, they'll still raise the same amount of funds and have $53 x 12 home games "extra" in the budget.

It's a budget issue for someone. Whether it's worth the extra $ is a different issue.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Precisely, Bob. That money is budgeted for something as I highly doubt the school is just pocketing that money in a reserve fund somewhere for some mysterious future budget need that hasn't materialized yet. For me, it's easily worth it; but then again, I have a vested interest in the decision.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is almost impossible for me to believe that a guy came from the lead to get that!
Not for me.

Saturday morning Freshman boys game years ago. Nobody's yet even awake much, and coaches haven't said one word. I don't recall whether the game was close or not, but I do recall what my co-official said to me before the game: that he had been in that chapter for 7 years and hadn't called a varsity game. He was mad about it.

Sometime in the second half, I'm the new lead covering a fast break. I'm just behind the defender who's a step behind the offensive player. I'm getting in position to judge any contact, but none happens. Halfway through the layup, a whistle blows. I'm thinking, "that's weird; surely a coach didn't say something as it was a clean steal." I look back and my "partner" is right around the free throw line extended on the (now) backcourt and he's signaling a traveling violation. Hint: there was no traveling.

The coach of the team the call went against just looked at me and shook his head. I made a call to the chapter President and Secretary that afternoon. I don't remember what all was discussed, but two things were: no varsity games for this guy, and no more games with me. I don't think he lasted the season. Thank God.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I believe it, too. It's the "get it right" mentality coupled with the judgment of an official without enough experience to actually "get it right." He sees what he thinks is a backcourt call from 45 feet away, doesn't hear his partner whistle it, so he thinks he needs to get it. They generally mean well but don't know any better.