The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I also have several pairs of shoes to ref in and I try to keep rotating them. For a long time I have been telling ref buddies that guys wear their shoes way to long. Since our shoes are only worn on the gym floor, they don't show the kind of wear like our everyday tennis shoes so people keep wearing them even though the midsole and support are gone. Back when I had 1 main pair I wore at a time, I would replace them about every 50 games (I did this for the health of my feet, knees and hips).

Currently I am rotating several pairs of Nike Shox all black running shoes. I know some guys would never wear running shoes to ref, because they want more lateral support, but I try to stay away from jab steps and any other tricky moves
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tjones1]Just one...working on it though...don't worry!

One? NUh-Uh, I don't believe you!
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 09:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

[QUOTE=refnrev]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Just one...working on it though...don't worry!

One? NUh-Uh, I don't believe you!
It's true, it's true!!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 07:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I also have several pairs of shoes to ref in and I try to keep rotating them. For a long time I have been telling ref buddies that guys wear their shoes way to long. Since our shoes are only worn on the gym floor, they don't show the kind of wear like our everyday tennis shoes so people keep wearing them even though the midsole and support are gone. Back when I had 1 main pair I wore at a time, I would replace them about every 50 games (I did this for the health of my feet, knees and hips).
Good points. My experience has been the minute my feet or legs start to hurt after a game, suspect the shoes. I have tossed many a good shoe because of this. I have also learned what brand works the best for my feet. Adidas is the worst.

Quote:
Currently I am rotating several pairs of Nike Shox all black running shoes. I know some guys would never wear running shoes to ref, because they want more lateral support, but I try to stay away from jab steps and any other tricky moves
I feel you here on the quick lateral type steps. I can't believe it but about a mouth ago, I made one of these steps and down I went. The first time I have either hit the deck refereeing and it was all my fault, and it was also embarrassing. It was embarrassing because nothing happened as far as a quick turnaround type play, I just got my feet twisted up and down I went. As far as the running shoe, I can't find one that is all black like what we are suppose to be wearing and it is still comfortable. I see all type of shoes with silver in them, or that cushion or air padding that's suppose to be comfortable. IMO, these are not legal shoes. If it has silver in them, or two shades of black, no, no, no.

Last, most of you probably already know this but for some that may not. Do not take a new pair of shoes (new brand) right out of the box and wear them. Wear them around the house a couple of days first to break them in before putting them to test. I have wrecked my feet many of times doing this. Just thought I would share....

Peace

Last edited by Old School; Sun Dec 17, 2006 at 07:42am.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I have so many pairs of ref shoes (patent and otherwise) that my closet looks like I live with Imelda Marcos.
I think she's dead!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Reebok - DMX Max - has the air bladder in the base of the shoe which feels like your running on clouds.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Good points. My experience has been the minute my feet or legs start to hurt after a game, suspect the shoes. I have tossed many a good shoe because of this. I have also learned what brand works the best for my feet. Adidas is the worst.

I feel you here on the quick lateral type steps. I can't believe it but about a mouth ago, I made one of these steps and down I went. The first time I have either hit the deck refereeing and it was all my fault, and it was also embarrassing. It was embarrassing because nothing happened as far as a quick turnaround type play, I just got my feet twisted up and down I went. As far as the running shoe, I can't find one that is all black like what we are suppose to be wearing and it is still comfortable. I see all type of shoes with silver in them, or that cushion or air padding that's suppose to be comfortable. IMO, these are not legal shoes. If it has silver in them, or two shades of black, no, no, no.

Last, most of you probably already know this but for some that may not. Do not take a new pair of shoes (new brand) right out of the box and wear them. Wear them around the house a couple of days first to break them in before putting them to test. I have wrecked my feet many of times doing this. Just thought I would share....

Peace
The silver on my shoes WAS nothing once I took a sharpie to em. I keep the sharpie in my bag and if they need a touch up, they get it.