The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I am a rookie ref. I have read a number of threads that discuss the need for refs to be outfitted appropriately (collarless shirt, beltless pants, etc.). What about shoes? Is it "politically incorrect" to wear a pair of black Nike Shox that have a bit of silver/gray showing, especially in the heal-shox area? Or, is ALL black the only way for the "in" ref to deck him/herself out?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
I am a rookie ref. I have read a number of threads that discuss the need for refs to be outfitted appropriately (collarless shirt, beltless pants, etc.). What about shoes? Is it "politically incorrect" to wear a pair of black Nike Shox that have a bit of silver/gray showing, especially in the heal-shox area? Or, is ALL black the only way for the "in" ref to deck him/herself out?
Unless you're only doing less than JH ball, I'd get the right shoes.

The best bet is to ask others with whom you will be working.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

That's the issue

I see sum with all black, i see sum with a mixture. This includes HS varsity. Our local association recommends, does not require, all/as much black as possible. I like shox because they are SO comfortable. However, i wont mind ponying up for a new pair. Just wonder what the "enlightened" thought about this. I still say it should be "substance over style" if one had to choose.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

All black. We don't have anyone in our association with anything but all black. It gives you a more professional appearance. It's the only "uniform" look you can have as a crew.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: That's the issue

Quote:
I see sum with all black, i see sum with a mixture. This includes HS varsity. Our local association recommends, does not require, all/as much black as possible. I like shox because they are SO comfortable. However, i wont mind ponying up for a new pair. Just wonder what the "enlightened" thought about this. I still say it should be "substance over style" if one had to choose.
Do what the vets in your area do. In my area, just about everyone wears all black. I've seen D-1 officials on TV with lots of white and/or gray on their shoes.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats patootie if my partner's shoes are all black. I have more important things to be concerned with.

Z
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

All Black!

When you are being sized for your suit, a good thing to do is look at your salesperson's shoe heels. If they are scuffed and have worn edges, there's a good chance he or she will not pay close attention to the details necessary to get your $300 suit to fit you properly. You are sending the same message with how much attention you spend on the "details" of your role. If the shoes are functional for you....can the non-black coloring be "painted" or "dyed" to give you the "all black" conformity?

It's a matter of how serious you are about your personal and "professional" appearance.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: That's the issue

Quote:

Why are you adding up shoes?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: That's the issue

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Do what the vets in your area do. In my area, just about everyone wears all black. I've seen D-1 officials on TV with lots of white and/or gray on their shoes.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats patootie if my partner's shoes are all black. I have more important things to be concerned with.

Z
The reason you see some D1 whit white or gray is that they most likely have a shoe deal with the conference and are required to wear them
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: That's the issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Why are you adding up shoes?
Glad to see that GW education wasn't wasted. I have to admit that I had to "re-read" the original post twice to see what you were talking about.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of ways to look at this. You can look at it as a chance to fit in, which isn't a bad thing. And you can look at this as a chance to stand out. If I were in your position, I'd think about the latter. Professionalism is one way to distinguish yourself from your equally skilled colleagues. Looking professional promote a perception of professionalism. Smart looking, polished all-black shoes is pretty universally accepted as professional looking. One day, a few years down the road, it might just mean you get moved up over another equally skilled candidated. One day, next month, it might just mean that a coach might just evaluate you as fresh meat that might know what he's doing, rather than just run of the mill fresh meat
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

The National Federation of State High School
Associations state:
Entirely black with black laces.

I have written officials up on their evaluations
for grey or white on the shoes.

Yes, I do have other things to look for during
or pre game, but shoes always stick out to me as
do belted slacks.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Just be safe and go all black, it looks better too.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
All Black

Patent Leather, all black shoes are nice and they shine like crazy!