The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball at end of 1st half

A1 and B1 are whistled for a jump ball at approximately the same time the horn ends the second quarter.

The crew did not switch the AP based on the jump ball but due to the end of the second quarter. When the 3rd quarter began, Team A coach argued the AP should have given them the ball due to the jump ball ending the 2nd quarter (with the AP switch at half giving them the ball back).

Is the jump ball ignored, AP switched or is there a specific case book situation?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach is trying to play you. Guarantee if it had been reversed and you'd done what he suggested, he'd have thrown a fit. And he would have been right. In this case, however, he was wrong.
The arrow is not switched until the throwin is completed. The throwin cannot be completed if you never hand the ball to the thrower. You were right.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

The arrow switches when the AP throw in is complete, or when the inbounding team violates. Neither of those happened on the held ball. So, the arrow remains with whoever had it at the time of the held ball, and that team will inbound to begin the third quarter.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djskinn
The crew did not switch the AP based on the jump ball but due to the end of the second quarter. When the 3rd quarter began, Team A coach argued the AP should have given them the ball due to the jump ball ending the 2nd quarter (with the AP switch at half giving them the ball back).
Remember - the arrow does not switch, per se, at halftime. If it was pointing towards team B at the end of the 2nd quarter, it will point towards team B at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

- Mr. Annoying Semantics Guy
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 6 BEGINNING, END OF QUARTER OR EXTRA PERIOD
Each quarter or extra period begins when the ball first becomes live. It ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired, except that:
ART. 2 . . . If a held ball or violation occurs so near the expiration of time that the clock is not stopped before time expires, the quarter or extra period ends with the held ball or violation.

It is entirely legal and proper to end the period with the held ball, and not move on to the throw-in. You begin the next period with a normal AP throw-in.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
A1 and B1 are whistled for a jump ball at approximately the same time the horn ends the second quarter.

Is the jump ball ignored, AP switched or is there a specific case book situation?
Could you please re-post this scenario and replace the word "them" with the team names (A or B). I'm
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:36pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

And to follow along the semantic correction lines of BadNews and MarkD, in situations like this, replace the work "jump" with "HELD." At my association meeting last night, multiple situations of various combinations of throw-ins, jump balls (the actual jump ball kind), alternating possession, and held balls were discussed, and each lasted about 3-5 minutes longer than it should have because people kept using improper terminology, leading to confusion on what was actually being talked about.

Held ball, lodged ball, and jump ball are three different things.

(And deeeeeep breath.)

Rant off.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

This forum is wonderful. Not only do I get my question answered but I have the added benefit of top rated grammar and terminology officials. Before I write my international pen pal officials overseas I am going to be sure to submit my letter to the forum so that I do not cause an international officiating incident.