The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Talking

NCAA rules here ... On any "T" you go back to the point of interuption to resume play. Well I have some interesting things to ask about that, and make you guys put your thinking caps on for the season.

Play 1 : A4 dunks the ball in pregmae warm-ups. So to start the game B gets 2 shots. Then what do we do?

Play 2 : A3 tries a 3 point shot, A2 and B2 punch each other, as the ball goes through the hoop. What do we do?

Play 3 : A1 tries to go up for a dunk. He realizes that he needs to grab the rim first to dunk the ball. Then after he grabs the rim he dunks the ball. What do we have here?
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
NCAA rules here ... On any "T" you go back to the point of interuption to resume play. Well I have some interesting things to ask about that, and make you guys put your thinking caps on for the season.

Play 1 : A4 dunks the ball in pregmae warm-ups. So to start the game B gets 2 shots. Then what do we do?

Play 2 : A3 tries a 3 point shot, A2 and B2 punch each other, as the ball goes through the hoop. What do we do?

Play 3 : A1 tries to go up for a dunk. He realizes that he needs to grab the rim first to dunk the ball. Then after he grabs the rim he dunks the ball. What do we have here?
OK - Firstly I realise you are asking about NCAA rules, but according to FIBA rules (which may or may not help you):

Play 1: Team B shoots 2 free throws, game resumes with jump ball.

Play 2: If A2 and B2 punch each other while the ball is in flight, count the basket, double disqaulifying foul. Game resumes with inbound at baseline by Team B (penalties for the DQ's cancel each other out).

Play 3: A1 Technical foul, no basket - it is illegal to intentionally grab onto the ring, except when releasing the ring may cause an injury to you, or another player.

Again - I realise these are FEEBLE rules, but I would assume that NCAA would be similar, if not the same.

Hope this helps.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ease up Duane, you're putting me out of a job mate!!!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Ooh! Ooh!

I forgot, resuming after a technical foul penalty at the point of interruption doesn't apply to FIBA anymore, only to correctable errors... can you tell me why Duane???
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Question Huh?

Sorry, Irun, I'm not sure I follow the question?

Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Hmmm

Hey,

if this keeps up, this forum will turn into a bunch of FEEBLE Aussies!

(I wish)

Stoopid Seppos!

Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Cool Non Comprehendus???

Resuming at the point of interruption doesn't apply to FIBA, we have a throw in included in the penalty.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Oh OK,

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by resuming at the point of interrpution - probably because we don't do it

Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

We used to do it after a correctable error, but the rules about that changed a while back... I forget exactly what we have to do now, I just improvise!!!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery

Oz Ref had the first two correct -- jump ball in (1) and count the basket and B gets a throw in in (2).

He also had the third mostly correct -- it's actually two indirect technicals on A1 (not that they count against him or the team). One for grasping the ring and one for dunking with a dead ball.

Since the ball became dead on the first technical, and Since A still had team control, I guess the point of interruption means that A gets the ball for a throw-in. Doesn't seem right, but it does seem to be the rule.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Indirect 'T'

Since the orginal post is talking about NCAA rules, indirect 'T' may be right fot the punches, I don't do college. Under NF rules the 'T's' are direct flagrant techs and both players are ejected under Rule 10-3-10 fighting. And you go to AP arrow for possession on off setting fouls. I am surprised that NCAA rules are so soft on two players duking it out. NF rules if the punch is thrown but doesn't hit anyone, it is ruled as a fight rule 4-18-1 & 2. You also have a team foul added to both teams. When I first read the post by Bob I was thinking NF. Alot of officials still are having trouble with direct and indirect techs and when does the coach get hit with the indirect 'T' but that's another subject.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 11:53am
Esteemed Participant

Nobody said the punches were indirsect T's...it was the grabbing the rim and then dunking that were indirect T's...punching is still a flagrant T in NCAA, and would result in disqualification of the players...