The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

5 questions for discussion!

True/false
1. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels?
Everything in this question is true and is in the book exactly except for the "ANY NUMBER" part of it, it just says it must have panels, doesn't specify the number or if it can have ANY number....

2. After any team warning for delay, it is a team technical foul if the free throw is delayed because of a Team huddle or contact with the free thrower?
All parts of this question are true, except for the last part, wouldn't contact with the free thrower be a Individual Technical foul on the player that makes the contact, would not be a team technical right?

3. Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring of the point plus a technical foul?
I know it's a T, just couldn't remember seeing if we count the point for the free throw too, i would assume so, just wanted to make sure.

4. It is permissble to withdraw a player before the clock starts following his or her substitution into the game.
A1 injured can't shoot free throws, A6 comes in to shoot, after shots,sub A7 comes in for A6, legal from case book. So just because this is permissable in this situation would that make this statement true?

5. It is a violation when during a designated spot throw in by A1, A2 is out of bounds.
I first said false, because it's a Technical foul when A2 goes out of bounds, but then i thought i may be reading to much into it, and thought that YES, it's a violation, but the penalty for this violation is a technical foul, so depending on how you look at it, it could be either.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
3. Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring of the point plus a technical foul?
I know it's a T
You sure?

Quote:
5. It is a violation when during a designated spot throw in by A1, A2 is out of bounds.
I first said false, because it's a Technical foul when A2 goes out of bounds,
You sure?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I first said false, because it's a Technical foul when A2 goes out of bounds, but then i thought i may be reading to much into it, and thought that YES, it's a violation, but the penalty for this violation is a technical foul, so depending on how you look at it, it could be either.
I dont' have time to do all these right now, but I will comment that the penalty for a violation is NEVER a technical foul. (or we'd call it a technical foul). An infraction is either a violation or a foul.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True/false
2. After any team warning for delay, it is a team technical foul if the free throw is delayed because of a Team huddle or contact with the free thrower?
All parts of this question are true, except for the last part, wouldn't contact with the free thrower be a Individual Technical foul on the player that makes the contact, would not be a team technical right?
Is the technical foul listed under 10-1 (Team Technical) or 10-3 (Player Technical)?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I dont' have time to do all these right now, but I will comment that the penalty for a violation is NEVER a technical foul. (or we'd call it a technical foul). An infraction is either a violation or a foul.
that is why i said false at first, but i questioned myself and shouldn't have..
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True/false
I know it's a T, just couldn't remember seeing if we count the point for the free throw too, i would assume so, just wanted to make sure.
Goaltending a FreeThrow is a Technical. Count the point and assess the technical. Basket Interference is not a technical.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that is why i said false at first, but i questioned myself and shouldn't have..
no, questioning yourself is almost always a good thing, if you are asking the right questions.

1. What section is it in in the rule book?

2. Is there such a thing as a T for a violation?

3. And what about Naomi?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You sure?

You sure?
i guess it used to be a technical, and now it's a violation...forgot the rule change.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i guess it used to be a technical, and now it's a violation...forgot the rule change.
In order to get this down, you need to get out the books, and quote chapter and verse. Put them here and then we can be certain you're headed in the right direction.

I should say, Bob and Dan and JR will be certain you're headed in the right direction. I'll just be heckling from the sidelines.

Last edited by rainmaker; Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 11:44am.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
In order to get this down, you need to get out the books, and quote chapter and verse. Put them here and then we can be certain you're headed in the right direction.

I should say, Bob and Dan and JR will be certain you're headed in the right direction. I'll just be heckling from the sidelines.
rule 9.2.12
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is the technical foul listed under 10-1 (Team Technical) or 10-3 (Player Technical)?
10.3.6.c should take care of it, player tech
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've put my answers in red.
Quote:
True/false
1. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels?
Everything in this question is true and is in the book exactly except for the "ANY NUMBER" part of it, it just says it must have panels, doesn't specify the number or if it can have ANY number....
True. There was a rule change in the 2003-04 season that deleted "the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball." (Just don't tell Rut. He doesn't believe in the past. )

This means the contact is by a TEAMMATE.
4-47-2. . . For huddle by either team and contact with the free thrower, as in 10-1-5c.
If called the result would be a technical foul as the team was previously warned for delay. Starting this year the rule was changed so that a team only receives one team warning for delay and thereafter any subsequent delay is a technical foul.

A rule change in 2002-03 deleted BI during a FT as a technical foul. It is now merely a violation. The point is awarded.

4. It is permissble to withdraw a player before the clock starts following his or her substitution into the game.
A1 injured can't shoot free throws, A6 comes in to shoot, after shots,sub A7 comes in for A6, legal from case book. So just because this is permissable in this situation would that make this statement true?
Yep, this is clarified in this year's interps.
2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 11: A1 is injured during a play in which he/she was fouled. As a result, A1 cannot attempt the awarded free throws. A6 replaces A1 and attempts the free throws, which are successful. Team A then calls a time-out. At the conclusion of the time-out, (a) A1 is ready to play, or (b) A7 replaces A6. RULING: In (a), A1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Legal substitution in (b); A6 may leave the game at any time. Substitution restrictions only apply to being withdrawn and attempting to re-enter without the clock properly starting. (8-2; 3-3-4)

The applicable rule for this situation is 9-2-12 ". . . No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated-spot throw-in begins." The penalty is a violation and the ball is awarded to the opponents at the original throw-in spot.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:20pm.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

1. 1-12-1
2. 10-1-5-c
3. 9-11 & 9-12..see penalties section, plus 10-3-10
4. 8-2, 8-3
5. 9-2-12
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

here is what i got, what do you think
#1. True 1.12.1.c nothing is said about number of panels, just that they have to be horizontal

#2. True Misunderstood what question was asking, didn't realize it was actually talking about SAME TEAM MEMBER..

#3. False 9.11 only goaltending is t

#4. True nothing in 3.3 says that is not permissable

#5 True 9.2.12 violation

Last edited by jritchie; Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:29pm.