View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've put my answers in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
True/false
1. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels?
Everything in this question is true and is in the book exactly except for the "ANY NUMBER" part of it, it just says it must have panels, doesn't specify the number or if it can have ANY number....
True. There was a rule change in the 2003-04 season that deleted "the previously required eight panels on a legal basketball." (Just don't tell Rut. He doesn't believe in the past. )

2. After any team warning for delay, it is a team technical foul if the free throw is delayed because of a Team huddle or contact with the free thrower?
All parts of this question are true, except for the last part, wouldn't contact with the free thrower be a Individual Technical foul on the player that makes the contact, would not be a team technical right?
This means the contact is by a TEAMMATE.
4-47-2. . . For huddle by either team and contact with the free thrower, as in 10-1-5c.
If called the result would be a technical foul as the team was previously warned for delay. Starting this year the rule was changed so that a team only receives one team warning for delay and thereafter any subsequent delay is a technical foul.

3. Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring of the point plus a technical foul?
I know it's a T, just couldn't remember seeing if we count the point for the free throw too, i would assume so, just wanted to make sure.
A rule change in 2002-03 deleted BI during a FT as a technical foul. It is now merely a violation. The point is awarded.

4. It is permissble to withdraw a player before the clock starts following his or her substitution into the game.
A1 injured can't shoot free throws, A6 comes in to shoot, after shots,sub A7 comes in for A6, legal from case book. So just because this is permissable in this situation would that make this statement true?
Yep, this is clarified in this year's interps.
2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 11: A1 is injured during a play in which he/she was fouled. As a result, A1 cannot attempt the awarded free throws. A6 replaces A1 and attempts the free throws, which are successful. Team A then calls a time-out. At the conclusion of the time-out, (a) A1 is ready to play, or (b) A7 replaces A6. RULING: In (a), A1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Legal substitution in (b); A6 may leave the game at any time. Substitution restrictions only apply to being withdrawn and attempting to re-enter without the clock properly starting. (8-2; 3-3-4)

5. It is a violation when during a designated spot throw in by A1, A2 is out of bounds.
I first said false, because it's a Technical foul when A2 goes out of bounds, but then i thought i may be reading to much into it, and thought that YES, it's a violation, but the penalty for this violation is a technical foul, so depending on how you look at it, it could be either.
The applicable rule for this situation is 9-2-12 ". . . No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated-spot throw-in begins." The penalty is a violation and the ball is awarded to the opponents at the original throw-in spot.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:20pm.