The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

A1 is fouled and is awarded two free throws. Team A calls a time-out. Following the time-out, Team A refuses to leave their huddle.
The administering official sounds his/her whistle and places the ball on the floor at the line and starts the 10 second count.

Is this thought correct??? Players from the Team A may return from their delayed huddle within the 10 second count and still occupy marked lane spaces designated for Team A and/or any unoccupied lane spaces up to the point that the shooter touches the ball or the 10 seconds expires.
If, however, the shooter is the first one back and picks up the ball, then it's possible that none of the other Team A players would be able to line up for that free throw without penalty of a lane violation.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 06:05am
In Memoriam

Other Chuck,when the official put the ball on the floor for A's free-throw,and the A shooter wasn't in the semi-circle,you have an automatic violation.You call it when the 10-second count expires.If the foul-shooter enters the semi-circle,or any A player breaks the plane of the 3-point line and the foul line extended to try and enter a marked lane space,that is a seperate violation and is called immediately.Note that even if A or B calls another time-out,that just delays the calling of the first violation on A.References are casebook 8.1.3, 9.1comment & 9.1.7,along with rule 9.1.Let me throw this into the mix,however.What do you call if you've started the 10-second count on A,and a B player in a marked lane-space violates by stepping over the line?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 07:18am
In Memoriam

Whoa!Delete the statement above-"Note that even if A or B calls another time-out,that just delays the calling of the first violation on A".That is flat out wrong.Must have been still half-asleep.A can call another TO,B can't(casebook 5.8.3B).Rest of answer stands.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Other Chuck,when the official put the ball on the floor for A's free-throw,and the A shooter wasn't in the semi-circle,you have an automatic violation.You call it when the 10-second count expires.
What's the point of waiting 10 Seconds??Why not call it a violation immediately?

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Let me throw this into the mix,however.What do you call if you've started the 10-second count on A,and a B player in a marked lane-space violates by stepping over the line?
Nothing.... A delayed violation signal against the defensive team could be given but the 10 second violation against the shooting team would take precedence... Then we would go with the 2nd shot and give Team A another chance to step to the line.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 05:21am
In Memoriam

Other Chuck,I'll try to answer you questions in order,and hope I get 'em right.If not,I'm sure I'll be corrected.
1)You can't call a 10-second FT violation on A until he actually violates.He doesn't violate until the 10 second count expires.In this case,A could call a time-out to avoid the violation(I think).Reference is 9-1-3 in rulebook and 5-8-3situationB in the casebook .Similarly,if you place the ball on the floor for a resuming-play throw-in,the team throwing the ball in doesn't violate until the 5 second count is up,and they can call a TO to avoid the violation,also. BTW,a 10-second free throw violation is rarely called,and rightly so.Most officials use a lot of discretion on this call.
2)A delayed violation on an opponent on a FT is only ignored if the FT is good(rulebook 9-1penalty2a).When A violates after B,you have a double violation,and both are applied.See rulebook 6-3-3c and casebook play 6-3-3situationB.You are right in that A gets the 2nd FT.Note that on the first shot in a bonus situation,however,you go with the arrow instead of just penalizing the 10 second violation and giving B the ball OB.
Here you have to think of two things at the same time!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 12th, 2001 at 04:23 AM]