The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

D3 Player pours in 21 threes, Team wins 201-78

SALEM, W.Va. — The Lincoln University men’s basketball team defeated Ohio State-Marion, 201-78 at Salem International’s T.D. Edwards Gym in the second round of the 25th Annual Joe Manchin Classic Saturday afternoon. UDC claimed a 67-50 victory over Salem International in the second game of the round-robin tournament.

In setting five NCAA Division III records, the 11th-ranked Lions improved to 5-1 and bounced back from a 90-79 loss to Salem International the night before. Lincoln placed seven players in double figures highlighted by senior guard Sami Wylie, who scored a school record and career-high 69 points while making a NCAA record 21 3-pointers.

More:
http://d3hoops.com/releases.php?release=6558&scoreboard
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Someone posted this on our board site. Norman Dale's three passes before a shot could have been employed. And I wonder if the press was used all game long.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Once a team is up by 25 or 30 every 3 point attempt thereafter should be an automatic travel.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:19am
Courageous When Prudent

My cousin's son played for Lincoln 2 years ago but he transferred after the 2004-05 season. Guess he should have stuck around.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdccpa
Once a team is up by 25 or 30 every 3 point attempt thereafter should be an automatic travel.
Or...how about this....after a guy makes his first oh, I dont know....5 threes.....GUARD HIM!
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:25am
Huck Finn

Yeah, when I was playing there would definitely be three free throws taken after someone hit 3 threes. I wouldn't take too kindly to someone setting a record like that on me when the game is obviously over.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:25am
Esteemed Participant

While the score disgusts me, I find it interesting that the kid who hit the 21 three's only played 24 minutes of the game...so he was just flat-out on fire. Could the team ahead have run the shot-clock down more on each possession? Sure...but at some point, doesn't the team getting their a$$es kicked bear some responsibility for not putting a better product on the floor?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
doesn't the team getting their a$$es kicked bear some responsibility for not putting a better product on the floor?
Yes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
While the score disgusts me, I find it interesting that the kid who hit the 21 three's only played 24 minutes of the game...so he was just flat-out on fire. Could the team ahead have run the shot-clock down more on each possession? Sure...but at some point, doesn't the team getting their a$$es kicked bear some responsibility for not putting a better product on the floor?
To me, I think the onus falls more on the team that's ahead. There is no class coming from the person coaching the team. It's entirely possible that a school could have disciplinary reasons, coach change new regime, etc., where the team they put out is just not that good. I don't think that a school can say, we don't want to participate this year in the NCAA because we know we're not going to be any good this year.

Once you have a comfortable lead, you should empty the bench and try to run some plays, etc. Perfect time to turn this game into a practice session and work on some new plays instead of run it down the other teams throat. You would also think that at the collegiate level there would be some disciplinary issues back at the school/program that ran up the score. I know if I was the A/D I would have some words with that coach.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
To me, I think the onus falls more on the team that's ahead. There is no class coming from the person coaching the team. It's entirely possible that a school could have disciplinary reasons, coach change new regime, etc., where the team they put out is just not that good. I don't think that a school can say, we don't want to participate this year in the NCAA because we know we're not going to be any good this year.

Once you have a comfortable lead, you should empty the bench and try to run some plays, etc. Perfect time to turn this game into a practice session and work on some new plays instead of run it down the other teams throat. You would also think that at the collegiate level there would be some disciplinary issues back at the school/program that ran up the score. I know if I was the A/D I would have some words with that coach.
Again, the kid that set the record for three's only played 24 minutes...so I think the coach played everybody he had to play...

We had a HS football game this year that we won by a large margin. Score was something in the 50's to 7...we played the entire second half with a 120 pound freshman at running back and a sophomore QB who had never taken a snap in a game before that night...the RB scored twice on long (30 +) runs...what do we do, tell him to fall down after 10 yards? For all he knew, those would be his only carries of the season, so he played his butt off. So did those kids coming off the bench for the team that won that basketball game...

Again, they could have used more clock, they could have taken fewer three's , etc...but I still think part of the blame goes on the other team for not playing good defense...
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

College level-the team that lost needs to get better.

HS V level-it really depends on the teams playing. If the good team only plays their starters half the game, that's sporting enough for me.

JH level-the coach of the team that won is an a@@-hole.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

90% of all ADs would be happy with the win and the publicity.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

This scares the Hell out of me I have OSU Marion's Women team at Newark on 12/16 I hope they play better than the men.
I'll get to see the men they play afterward, but I may have to resist the urge to guard someone if it gets that bad.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 05:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
The team that lost had only 6 players suited up. Did you guys who think they should have played better defense take into account that they were likely exhausted from being pressed like crazy?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:22am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I wondered if this would be commented on in this form.

First, let me say that Ohio State-Marion belongs to the national body I do stats for. My counterpart at our national office passed me the score in an e-mail and, sure enough, the box score verified it and I archived it for posterity.

I'm not sure what else I should say about the game,since I do need to remain objective, but the next time I witness I blowout, I'll likely think "At least it was 201-78."

OHBBREF: The ORCC usually has more parity in its conference games, so I don't think there will as bad a rout in the game you officiate there.

26 Year Gap: According to the Article I was forwarded, Lincoln pressed the entire game. I realize college has no mercy rules, but to press with a triple digit lead is pretty bush league in my own personal opinion.

I just hope the stat-crew's computer didn't melt from compiling the play by play. And more importantly, I commend the officials who probably found it challenging to stay focused in such a game.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 12:30am.