The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Who gets the ball and WHY?

Both teams are in the double bonus. Possesion arrow points towards Team A.
Team A is dribbling the ball in the backcourt. Lots of pressure. A1 passes the ball towards A2. B2 deflects the ball towards the side line. A2 and B2 scramble to the ball. B2, while still inbounds, slaps the ball back into the court before it goes OOB. Official blows his whistle. OOps... he is now aware that there is no OOB violation. Who gets the ball and WHY?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Let me try....

You would apply POI at this point since you have an inadvertant whistle. Team A still has Team Control since there was no change in possession, team b never gained player nor team control. Resume play with a spot throw in for A at a spot closest to where the ball was when the inadvertant whistle occured...

Here is a quote from another thread on this subject:

"4-36-1 specifically states that POI is a method of resuming play due to accidental whistle, a correctable error under 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical, or simultaneous foul.

POI is always used for those situations.

Article 2 then explains how to put ball in play, a throw-in, a freethrow -or throw-in if entitled, alternating possession when point of interruptin has no team control, no goal, infraction nor end of quarter is involved.

POI is absolute for those, no exceptions just the way it is administered. "

Last edited by cmckenna; Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 11:12pm.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree. A still has team control so POI applies - they get the ball for spot throw in.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

I agree, but think that the game will probably resume with two shots and the ball at the division line.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Nov 30, 2006 at 01:29am.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:27am
M.A.S.H.

Don't worry. You'll have to explain this to the coach I'm sure. She/He will be begging for an AP if it's in their favor.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I agree, but think that the game will probably resume with two shots and the ball at the division line.
Um Hmm!!!