The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Coach touches ball

HS Scrimmage (I am 'C' opposite table):

Gold steals ball in paint and throws outlet pass down the middle of court. Just past half-court Blue tips ball and ball heads towards Gold bench. Blue player is chasing after ball. Ball bounces and crosses sideline in the mid-air. Gold coach catches ball after it has clearly crossed over sideline.

Normal OOB call or should Gold coach/team be penalized?

BTW, don't know that it matters, but I have no doubt in my mind that he grabbed the ball on-purpose to prevent any chance of Blue saving the ball. (Gold team is defending state champions and Gold coach is a former CBA player; very basketball savvy)

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 07:02am.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I say if blue was close enough to make a play to save it, then warn the coach....other than that, i say gold ball
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 11:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
BTW, don't know that it matters, but Gold team is defending state champions and Gold coach is a former NBA player;
I can tell you if it matters or not - NO!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Warn the coach to not interfere with the ball, and say "BLUE BALL!" Complete the throw in and move on. OH, and it doesn't matter if Larry Bird is the coach, and the team is the defending NBA Champions. Call the game, and apply the rules correctly. If a coach or player thinks that they will get preferential treatment because they are "famous," they are in the WRONG business. Just my take.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:15am
(Something hilarious)

1-8-1 The officials shall:
ART. 1 . . . Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower...The officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team be unjustly penalized.
1-4-19 Foul
ART. 14 . . . An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Being 200% sure about my call, the act putting the other team at an obvious disadvantage, and the large type being key factors.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Had a game last week where head coach of Team B requested a TO and starting walking onto the floor while one of his players was in the act of shooting a 3; I did not grant the TO; shot missed and the long rebound went right to the coach who as on the floor; he caught it - I blew my whistle and signaled Team A's ball (as if it went out of bounds) and THEN asked if he still wanted the TO. I wasn't going to T 'em since he already was wacked earlier in the game by my partner and it was a 30 point game at the time.

It never crossed my mind to whack 'em in that situation. I guess that falls into the "kill the loser with kindness" category...
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
Had a game last week where head coach of Team B requested a TO and starting walking onto the floor while one of his players was in the act of shooting a 3; I did not grant the TO; shot missed and the long rebound went right to the coach who as on the floor; he caught it - I blew my whistle and signaled Team A's ball (as if it went out of bounds) and THEN asked if he still wanted the TO. I wasn't going to T 'em since he already was wacked earlier in the game by my partner and it was a 30 point game at the time.

It never crossed my mind to whack 'em in that situation. I guess that falls into the "kill the loser with kindness" category...
We all do things like this, I think. I consider something like this to be a compromise, probably a good one under the circumstances, but at the same time this is not remotely supported by any rule that I can think of, so others may not like the call.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea

I'll put it in another category.
A coach goes onto the court, interferes with and actually stops play, and you ignore it? And the fact that he already has a "T" and you don't want to have to toss him is a factor?

Give me a break!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 02:21am
In Memoriam

You make the call, part 3,607
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gold coach catches ball after it has clearly crossed over sideline.

Normal OOB call or should Gold coach/team be penalized?
I have no doubt in my mind that he grabbed the ball on-purpose to prevent any chance of Blue saving the ball.
If that is your opinion on the play, then you should definitely charge a direct technical foul to the coach.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:59am
Courageous When Prudent

The reason I referenced "state champions" & "former NBA (edited: actually former CBA; only tried out for a couple NBA teams) player" was to address this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRef from JR's referenced thread
Because I don't see it as a deliberate act as originally posted. These things are almost always reflexive acts...
Is it possible that a coach might act in an overtly deliberate manner? Yeah. Would I rule differently if it were painfully obvious?...
Gold coach is very smart and a heckuva coach, seeing the entire play from my position as the 'C' across from the table I could see he did it deliberately, not as a reflex.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
The reason I referenced "state champions" & "former NBA (edited: actually former CBA; only tried out for a couple NBA teams) player" was to address this:

Gold coach is very smart and a heckuva coach, seeing the entire play from my position as the 'C' across from the table I could see he did it deliberately, not as a reflex.
Again, as I read your play the coach did nothing wrong. If the ball's heading towards him out of bounds he's not required to move...although I imagine one fine day A1 will plow into him trying to save the ball & give him a new outlook.

Unless it was obvious (like coach a took a few steps before touching the ball) I have nothing.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Without seeing it, I'd tell to coach not to interfere and move on.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Warn the coach to not interfere with the ball, and say "BLUE BALL!" Complete the throw in and move on. OH, and it doesn't matter if Larry Bird is the coach, and the team is the defending NBA Champions. Call the game, and apply the rules correctly. If a coach or player thinks that they will get preferential treatment because they are "famous," they are in the WRONG business. Just my take.
Why would you say "BLUE BALL"?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Why would you say "BLUE BALL"?
Yeah, and what does Larry Legend have to do with it? I didn't know he was coaching?