The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
We haven't had a good snow in Portland for five years or more, but we're making up for lost time this week. It made the tourney I was observing yesterday a little more interesting to wonder whether people were going to have to do the refugee thing in the gym last night. But I'm not complaining. My 5-year-old has never seen snow like this and he's having a blast!

If one of the moterators needs to move this post to the "General" board, that's fine -- after everyone has seen it.

Camron, is this the kind of post you were looking for? Although late?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

On an upbeat note, I saw a robin today.

Frozen to the sidewalk.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wore shorts today in a mild Missouri.

Rainmaker, did the evaluation form assist you?

Happy New Year!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
We haven't had a good snow in Portland for five years or more, but we're making up for lost time this week. It made the tourney I was observing yesterday a little more interesting to wonder whether people were going to have to do the refugee thing in the gym last night. But I'm not complaining. My 5-year-old has never seen snow like this and he's having a blast!

At the tourney Juule is referring to, I had the 6:00pm game (which due to an earlier triple OT, didn't start until about 6:30). I stuck around to watch the 7:30 championship game which actually started about 8:00 or so and ended between 9:30 and 10:00.

I had been snowing for 1-2 hours during the last games. As I got my windows cleared of snow, I noticed that the traffic out of the lot had stopped moving. Someone had an accident just in front of the school. I just went back into the school. It was after 11:15pm when the traffic was cleared.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker, what do you call snow? A couple of inches, a couple of feet?

Three weeks ago, we received two feet of snow over two days. A week later, we got another 16 inches on top of that. The snow bank at my driveway was about 8 feet high. The saddest part is that (in Atlantic Canada) nobody makes a big deal about it. You get used to it.

on the bright side, we have not had any snow since and with the recent mild weather, a lot of the snow has melted.

On the not so bright side, we usually don't get our major storms until January.

Dreaming of warmer days, Jay.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

We must've caught the tail end of your storm, Juulie. I thought I was in Minnesota on the drive in to work. They sent us home early and gave us a number to call the next day to see if the office would be open. Hundreds (literally) of accidents and slide-offs along the highways. It took a couple of hours to clear it all from the driveways and sidewalks. It's the first real snow we've had in about five years, as well. Much needed here!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
Wore shorts today in a mild Missouri.

Rainmaker, did the evaluation form assist you?

Happy New Year!
John -- sorry I didn't get back to you. I got it in good time and it was helpful. I'm working on developing a different system of evaluating, which I think will be more informative for the person receiving the eval, and your form has been very insightful for that too. I think our association's form is too vague, and doens't cover things I want to know about. Seeing a form from a different association gives a different perspective. Thanks a lot!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R

Three weeks ago, we received two feet of snow over two days. A week later, we got another 16 inches on top of that. The snow bank at my driveway was about 8 feet high. The saddest part is that (in Atlantic Canada) nobody makes a big deal about it. You get used to it.
Not that much really. At the tourney site, there was 1-2 inches on my car when I left at 11pm. There was 1-2 inches on the ground from previous days. At my home, there was less than 1 inch total. In other place, there were several inches.

Most roads were essentialy clear. The real problem was that the temperature was just below freezing so in spots the roads had a thin layer of packed snow but also had a wet surface layer making it very slick.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 31st, 2003 at 04:02 PM]
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Not that much really. At the tourney site, there was 1-2 inches on my car when I left at 11pm. There was 1-2 inches on the ground from previous days. At my home, there was less than 1 inch total. In other place, there were several inches.

Most roads were essentialy clear. The real problem was that the temperature was just below freezing so in spots the roads had a thin layer of packed snow but also had a wet surface layer making it very slick.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 31st, 2003 at 04:02 PM]
We get so little of it here, that no one has a clue how to drive in it. People that go to the mountains every weekend are accustomed to gravelled roads, and they have SUV's and think they can get away with anything. Which, in a town that only gets snow or ice maybe twice a year, just isn't true. So we've got this thin coating of snow over a thin coating of ice, covered by a lot of out-of-control metal and rubber -- makes a very dangerous situation. And tonight the whole thing will be doused with a generous dollop of alcohol. I'm staying home.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Let it snow... in Idaho

I'm headed to the ski hill with my family for the next two days.... The hill has received over five feet in the last week. Had never heard a skier complain of too much snow but had two separate people complain ... well they were rookies. I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll bet it is fantastic - it's not too much if you don't fall down. At Grand Targhee they truly have snorkel days (the powder is so light and so deep that at times you can't ski in it without either holding your breath or using a snorkel). Those days are rare but truly incredible.

At home we've received a little more than a foot but more is forecast for tonight. It is slightly treacherous for travel but definitely needed - our reservoirs are down in the 10-20% full range and have been for the last 3 years. We need some water.

Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I'm headed to the ski hill with my family for the next two days.... The hill has received over five feet in the last week. Had never heard a skier complain of too much snow but had two separate people complain ... well they were rookies. I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll bet it is fantastic - it's not too much if you don't fall down.

Have a great time, Tony!

Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
On an upbeat note, I saw a robin today.

Frozen to the sidewalk.
You're bad, JR.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:57pm

Quote:
The saddest part is that (in Atlantic Canada) nobody makes a big deal about it. You get used to it.
Where abouts are you Jay R? You're lucky to live near Hfx. CIS men's finals every year and maybe a CFL team...?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
The saddest part is that (in Atlantic Canada) nobody makes a big deal about it. You get used to it.
Where abouts are you Jay R? You're lucky to live near Hfx. CIS men's finals every year and maybe a CFL team...?
I'm in Moncton. i've been hearing talk about the CFL in Halifax for 25 years.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 07:08pm

Quote:
I'm in Moncton. i've been hearing talk about the CFL in Halifax for 25 years.
Ah, ok... a whole lotta talk then... sorry.

I was in Fredericton in '85 and won the Eastern Canadian Championship. One day we were in this restaurant out in the middle of nowhere and ended up seeing a drug bust. Cool memory as a young lad.