The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Ideas for an association presentation

I have come in search of your support or great ideas. I have the honor of presenting a topic at one of our association meetings this year. Maybe I was just a warm body to fill half of a meeting. Anyway...I will be presenting on Rule 8 - Free Throw administration. Now considering we will be in the basement of a church and cannot set up mechanically, does anyone have any ideas for a fun presentation that will not put everyone to sleep.

I thought of doing a kind of a contest with the various things one does on cards and having volunteers arrange them in the correct order like they do with the song titles on "Soul Train" or passing out the cards throughout the room and having the members line up in the correct order.

I look forward to all your ideas whether or not you consider them to be good or not.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I did legal guarding position and closely guarded. The thing I did that got the room buzzing is to position two people from the group exactly 6 feet apart. Guaranteed to start a conversation.

I heard several of the following:

NO Way

Not in _______ league

Thats too far apart

Etc.

It is in the points of emph this year so it is relevant.

Best of luck.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
I did legal guarding position and closely guarded. The thing I did that got the room buzzing is to position two people from the group exactly 6 feet apart. Guaranteed to start a conversation.

I heard several of the following:

NO Way

Not in _______ league

Thats too far apart

Etc.

It is in the points of emph this year so it is relevant.

Best of luck.
Just tape 2 yardsticks together and stick between them. That's a good way to show em too.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

How about the various mechcanics and situation that would require working strong side in a two man crew.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
I have come in search of your support or great ideas. I have the honor of presenting a topic at one of our association meetings this year. Maybe I was just a warm body to fill half of a meeting. Anyway...I will be presenting on Rule 8 - Free Throw administration. Now considering we will be in the basement of a church and cannot set up mechanically, does anyone have any ideas for a fun presentation that will not put everyone to sleep.

I thought of doing a kind of a contest with the various things one does on cards and having volunteers arrange them in the correct order like they do with the song titles on "Soul Train" or passing out the cards throughout the room and having the members line up in the correct order.

I look forward to all your ideas whether or not you consider them to be good or not.
IMO, the good presentations I have sat through in referee meetings (or wrok meetings for that matter) have had to do with the speaking qualities and preparation of the speaker and the content of the material. The quality has had little to do with gimmicks or props that the speaker used.

Talk to your reffing buddies and get a list of all the screw-ups that they have made having to do with free throws in their career. I remember my first year I thought we were shooting 2 instead of 1-and-1 and blew the whistle during the rebounding action (concentration). Embarrassing! I have seen many officials bounce the ball to the free-thrower when one of their partners was not ready (communication).

Giving real-life examples of screw-ups is always more relevant than just talking about what-ifs or going over the rule book.