The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Folks,

Looking for some meeting ideas for a small group of about 40 officials.

Currently, we have about 1/3 of our group with over 15 years exp. and 2/3 with less than 15.

Any ideas on what to do or situations to bring up during a meeting. I am looking for involvement from the members.

Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ernie, check out http://www.officialforum.com/thread/11051

Maybe there's something there that will look interesting.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Here are some things I did this year!.
The guys seemed to love them but it took some work to do.
I have gathered about 15 varsity boys game films. I went thru each one and picked out various plays that were easily viewable from the camera's angle. I critiqued the plays and calls that occurred. I etited all the plays onto 1 tape(ended up with about 30 plays) and held 2 "movie nights" in the local schools football video room on a big screen. I used the football coaches video equipment so that I could start and stop and rewind the plays so you could see them in slow motion.
I did this for 2 nights. It was a hit. I still did not get to all the footage. I have since sent letters to all coaches I am friends with to send me their tapes they may have questions about.
I also brought 3 varsity coaches in 1 night to have Q+A. I compiled a list of about 15 questions that most officials might want to ask a coach. This went very well also!

My last might, I did on floor case book re-enactments. I went thru many casebook situations and did walk thru's on the playing court so we could visualize the plays. Example: You are in 3 man, A1 drives from wing on C side. There is a block/charge at block with B1. You have simultanious whistles and pre-lim. calls. Lead forgets to hold his pre-lim. and he calls block and C calls Charge and exact same time. What do you do(by the book)? I re-enact the play,pose the question to everyone,then go to the book for the answer.

These all seem to keep everyones attention!

Good luck, Hope these help!