The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Magazine - December 2006

I recently read here about errors in November's issue of Referee. I received by December issue yesterday. On page 20 of my issue there is a (somewhat lengthy) BASKETBALL “Test Yourself" area with 4 questions. Did anybody else notice the errors? The solutions are on page 80 of my issue.
Also, the BASKETBALL Caseplays are on page 22 are about Re-entering a Game. The first caseplay:"A1 fouls B2 during an unsuccessful try for a goal. Substitute A6 enters the game for A1. After having a brief discussion with A1,teams A's head coach sends A1 back to the table to re-enter the game (a) prior to B2's first free throw"...I am wondering how the possibility of substitution occurred before the final free throw. The scenario for (a) should not even happen. I think their scenario is botched. They did rule A1 is not allowed to enter the game in any of their scenarios which I agree with.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefLarry
The first caseplay:"A1 fouls B2 during an unsuccessful try for a goal. Substitute A6 enters the game for A1. After having a brief discussion with A1,teams A's head coach sends A1 back to the table to re-enter the game (a) prior to B2's first free throw"...I am wondering how the possibility of substitution occurred before the final free throw. The scenario for (a) should not even happen. I think their scenario is botched. They did rule A1 is not allowed to enter the game in any of their scenarios which I agree with.
I haven't seen the article, but could the point be that A1 is not allowed to leave until after the first shot, so he has to come back in?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Whether or not the substitution was legal, it was made, the the player who went out is not allowed to be back on the floor until after the clock has legally started. If the ref didn't beckon the sub in, there could even be a T for the sub coming in when he shouldn't have, although I think that's rarely called.

If the substitution was mistakenly allowed by the ref, it's tough cookies. It sounds as though the coach was deliberately using or even setting up (?) this goof. I wouldn't penalize the coach for that, since the ref shouldn't have allowed the substitution anyway. But I sure wouldn't allow the player back in the game.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

the answers were put in the wrong place..

Below is an email reply I received from Ref mag associate editor.FYI.:

I’ve placed the December 2006 Test Yourself with correct answers on our website. You can find it at www.referee.com/bk_quizquestions.html.

Unfortunately, the baseball answers were mistakenly put in place of the basketball answers and it was brought to my attention well after the magazine had already gone to print.

Thanks for pointing the error out to us. I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your continued support of Referee. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of future assistance.

Continued Success -

Ken
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 02:32am
M.A.S.H.

Well, I finally got into my December issue during my drive yesterday. Yeah, wow, those answers weren't even close. Thanks for the post Ken.