The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:35pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,026
Referee Magazine - July 2006

This issue contains the NFHS Rule Changes. My first game is Thursday so I've been going over them preparing.

If you have your copy handy, turn to page 72. If you look at the picture of the young lady with the ball, they use this as an example stating that the wristbands and headbands meet the color requirement, however the wristbands are illegal due to their placement.

If you look just under her knees, it appears these are some type of something (seems to be more decoration, than a purpose). Yet, in this example they fail to state whether these are legal or illegal. I'm assuming they are illegal. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:51pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
I don't get the magazine, but it's sounds like a patellar tendon strap used for Osgoode-Schlatter disease. They're fairly common and there' s all different types of them. They are also legal. They're considered to be a type of brace.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Oct 02, 2006 at 07:59pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:50pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,026
JR,

Doesn't really look like a brace, more like just a piece of material.

Also, something common around this area is some players wear leg weights. Legal?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If you have your copy handy, turn to page 72. If you look at the picture of the young lady with the ball, they use this as an example stating that the wristbands and headbands meet the color requirement, however the wristbands are illegal due to their placement.
That's correct, and there is a sentence in the right hand column of text which says, "Sweatbands worn on the biceps (as shown in the accompanying photo) are illegal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If you look just under her knees, it appears these are some type of something (seems to be more decoration, than a purpose). Yet, in this example they fail to state whether these are legal or illegal. I'm assuming they are illegal. Am I correct?
They look like elastic bands to give support to or help with the placement of the kneecaps.
Whether tape or some other material is used for this purpose, I consider it legal.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 03:37am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:15am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
JR,

Doesn't really look like a brace, more like just a piece of material.

Also, something common around this area is some players wear leg weights. Legal?
Tanner, a patellar strap look something like this--worn just under the knee. There are all different kinds of models. They are legal. I know that McDavid makes some models also.



Leg weights are illegal. They aren't basketball appropriate.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Tanner, a patellar strap look something like this--worn just under the knee. There are all different kinds of models. They are legal. I know that McDavid makes some models also.



Leg weights are illegal. They aren't basketball appropriate.
Some players are also rolling and wrapping a piece of prewrap around the knee to help with this. I almost made a player take it off a year or so ago until the coach explained what it was for.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Referee magazine Aug 2006 Pg 36-37 jwwashburn Softball 5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 03:40pm
Referee Magazine... WhistlesAndStripes Basketball 0 Tue Dec 06, 2005 08:23pm
Referee Magazine bkbjones Softball 1 Thu May 19, 2005 03:51pm
REFEREE magazine john reed Baseball 3 Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:58pm
Referee mag July 2003 caseplay #1 kentref Football 6 Mon Sep 01, 2003 04:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1