The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3-Person Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29463-3-person-mechanics.html)

RookieDude Tue Nov 14, 2006 04:52pm

3-Person Mechanics

Diagram 61 in the 2005-07 NFHS Officials Manual shows...

FOUL IN BACKCOURT, BALL GOES LONG
LEAD CALLS FOUL WITHOUT FREE THROW

Opposite side Lead calls and reports foul, goes back to administer throw-in and becomes new Trail. Center remains Center. Trail becomes new Lead.

(Some call this a V-back)

What are the 3-person mechanics for a foul in FRONTCOURT, with the Opposite side Lead calling, and the ball going "long" the other way?

Almost Always Right Tue Nov 14, 2006 04:57pm

Tableside

In the frontcourt, you always report and stay tableside. You will either be C or T, depending on where the ball is coming in.

rockyroad Tue Nov 14, 2006 05:17pm

It's the same as your other situation rookiedude...no long switches...report it and go back to administer the throw-in and become the new T...the only reason you would switch is if there are free throws or if you are staying at that end of the court.

RookieDude Tue Nov 14, 2006 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
It's the same as your other situation rookiedude...no long switches...report it and go back to administer the throw-in and become the new T...the only reason you would switch is if there are free throws or if you are staying at that end of the court.

Yes Rocky, and the mechanic you speak of is how we did it around here last year.
But...and I'm glad you responded, being from WA...check out Larry Johnson's 3-person training slide show. (Approved by the WIAA/WOA). Slide 42 seems to show something completly different. It shows the L going table side and "switching" with the C...going long.

you can go to www.tricitysoa.com and click on three-person training.

Might be an error...this slide show was made a few years ago, and a requirement for officials going to State.

Thanks for the clarification and the validation. ;)

Texas Aggie Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:57pm

I'm still not a big fan of this "no long switches" deal. I guess in some cases it makes sense, but where a lead calls a player control foul, for instance, the old C could get everything set up for a throw in by the time L reports the foul. The calling official then becomes the C and by the time he turns around, we can put the ball into play.

rockyroad Wed Nov 15, 2006 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
Yes Rocky, and the mechanic you speak of is how we did it around here last year.
But...and I'm glad you responded, being from WA...check out Larry Johnson's 3-person training slide show. (Approved by the WIAA/WOA). Slide 42 seems to show something completly different. It shows the L going table side and "switching" with the C...going long.

you can go to www.tricitysoa.com and click on three-person training.

Might be an error...this slide show was made a few years ago, and a requirement for officials going to State.

Thanks for the clarification and the validation. ;)

LJ has been an interpreter/presenter for years, but he still makes mistakes! I love LJ and worked some state championship games with him, so don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing him...BUT...we had this discussion at a WOA camp in Battle Ground last summer - he showed that slide show then also and we discussed that slide and he agreed that it should be a long switch situation and we should v-back (to throw those WA terms in there)...

RookieDude Wed Nov 15, 2006 06:27pm

Quote:

LJ has been an interpreter/presenter for years, but he still makes mistakes! I love LJ and worked some state championship games with him, so don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing him...BUT...we had this discussion at a WOA camp in Battle Ground last summer - he showed that slide show then also and we discussed that slide and he agreed that it should be a long switch situation and we should v-back (to throw those WA terms in there)...

Thanks rocky...I was just reviewing some training material we have on our site, and wanted to make sure we are all on the same page. It seems to me we discussed this slide a couple years ago at the State Clinic with TS...but, couldn't remember for sure. Anyway, thanks...if I do decide to go to a State Tourney this year...It's always nice to "practice what they preach", regarding mechanics, for the whole year...not just at State.

BTW...do you think you will be going this year?

rockyroad Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
BTW...do you think you will be going this year?

I only do 5-8 HS games per season the last few years, so I won't be going...however, that could change for next year...getting really tired of all the long, late drives I have to do!!!

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29am

Quote:

however, that could change for next year...getting really tired of all the long, late drives I have to do!!!

Hmmmmmm......

That's kinda surprising. I'd have guessed that you would probably have been taking short trips.

rockyroad Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hmmmmmm......

That's kinda surprising. I'd have guessed that you would probably have been taking short trips.

I don't get it...

That has become my mantra...damn that Chuck for bailing on me and leaving me on the short end of all these jokes!! :mad: :D

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:44am

Quote:

I don't get it...

Hmmmmm again.

It must have went right over your head, I guess.

rockyroad Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hmmmmm again.

It must have went right over your head, I guess.

Huh???? (I hate Chuck)