The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

After Bob Knight again

It looks like the media people are after Bob Knight again.
This time he popped a kid under the chin in getting the player to look at him and the media has stated that he struck a player in the face.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:17pm

He's misunderstood. Look at this and you'll see.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R_1Hz9cAru8
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6...T=HCP&GT1=8807
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Bob's a bully.

Well I will go ahead and step in it. I saw the video of the "gentle lifting" and also of the kid on the bench massaging his "gentley lifted jaw". I mean really at what point do people tell him "thats enough little Bobby go stand in the corner for about 25 years.
He is a bully. If I saw him at the bar he would be considered another fat,hot headed guy who has had lots of practice picking himself off the barroom floor. Cause in the world I live in .you gently lift someone's chin you are in for some gentle lifting of your own.
Assuming the quotes attributed to the parents are accurate these people are brain-dead. I mean he hit your son or gently lifted his jaw and you say it's no big deal. Brain-dead. I don't even know your kid and wanted to punch little bobby in the face. Make little bobby go away.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 06:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good grief. If it's not an all-out assault, let it go. No one put a gun to this kid's head and forced him to play for Knight. It's not like Knight's style has suddenly changed since this kid got recruited.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Here Come the apologists

good grief is right ! What part of no hitting other people doesn't little bobby get ? So if a coach did that to you cause he didn't like a call you made it would be okay cause you voluntarily went there to ref ? I think its a reasonable expectation that little bobby would keep his hands to himself.
Big fat blowhard in position of authority , hits people not in position of authority =BIg FAT BLOWHARD BULLY...

If you don't think that is considered assault try doing it the next time you get pulled over for speeding. I imagine the DA isn't going to let it slide or the cop who puts a whoop a$$ on you for doing it .....
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
good grief is right ! What part of no hitting other people doesn't little bobby get ? So if a coach did that to you cause he didn't like a call you made it would be okay cause you voluntarily went there to ref ? I think its a reasonable expectation that little bobby would keep his hands to himself.
Big fat blowhard in position of authority , hits people not in position of authority =BIg FAT BLOWHARD BULLY...

If you don't think that is considered assault try doing it the next time you get pulled over for speeding. I imagine the DA isn't going to let it slide or the cop who puts a whoop a$$ on you for doing it .....
There is a HUGE difference between you doing that to a police officer and a coach doing that to a player. There is a quite a difference in the type of relationship and bond a player and coach have verses a speeder and a police officer or even the player and the referee.

Up until this incident I never had any interest in defending Bobby Knight, but I think the media is making this much worse then it is. Bobby is the guy the media likes to talk about because everyone knows what he is capable of and they try and compare everything he does to what he has done...
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Video ?

Is there video of this recent Bobby Knight incident anywhere on the internet ?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen where that "bond" resembles something like The Stockholm Syndrome."

When is little bobby gonna learn to stop hitting people ?

A bully is a bully is a bully. Notice that bobby the bully generally only hits people he is in a position of having authority over.

How about little bobby comes on down to the local watering hole and "gently lifts" the chin of one of the regulars . He doesn't do it cause he knows that they fight back.

When is little bobby gonna learn to stop hitting people ?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Bobby is the guy the media likes to talk about because everyone knows what he is capable of and they try and compare everything he does to what he has done...
You are exactly right. Because of his history, Coach Knight is under a microscope. He has nobody to blame other than the mirror because he brought it all on himself. A normal person would know that they are on thin ice and make sure they stay out of the doghouse. However, Coach Knight cannot control his temper and has never admitted to himself that he is a problem and he never will.

He talks about how he demands discipline from his players, but what about self discipline? He'll probably continue to get free passes until he pulls a Woody Hayes.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Is there video of this recent Bobby Knight incident anywhere on the internet ?
You don't need a video. It's on Sports Center every 45 seconds! Am I a Bobby fan? Nope! Should he have done this? Nope! Is it anything close to being a big deal? Nope! Do I want to hear about it tomorrow? Nope. Would any other coach in the country have this thing scrutinized to death? Nope.
Move on media guys. Find another story!
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

Move on media guys. Find another story!
Where is TO when you need him?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tempest in a teapot. ESPN has nothing better to do with their time than debate this?

Robert Knight's past behavior is well-documented. When you commit to play for him, you also commit to be treated like a grunt in basic training for four or five years.

The kid isn't complaining, the parents aren't complaining, only the haters and the busybodies are complaining.

Iraqis are being kidnapped and blown up, and US soldiers are giving their lives to protect them, and the media covers this? Heather Mills must have forgotten to hold a press conference yesterday.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Tempest in a teapot. ESPN has nothing better to do with their time than debate this?
They even brought a female psychologist on TV to analyze the player’s body language to determine what was going through his mind before and after Knight touched him.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously Knight goes overboard on occasion, but this is being blown entirely out of proportion. I don't agree with everything he has done, but you have to admit, his players graduate, they stay out of trouble, and they are extremely loyal to him as he is to them. He is certainly a coach that puts student before athlete which is what we need more of if you ask me.