The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I ref and run our towns local rec and travel league (17 teams and 200 kids with the instructional group)
Since I took it over I've been trying to educate coaches and parents on the rules. I go over the "misunderstood basketball rules" with the coaches before the season and had passed out one to each player for his parents. This seems to have resulted in our coaches behaving better and less whining about 3 seconds, backcourt...then before I took over.
This year I had a coach (who was an assistant last year) who is load, yelling at his kids when they make mistakes, and queationing some calls. I spoke to him towards the end of the season and asked him to cool down the stuff to the kids. He did for one game and then went back to his old self. He also coaches soccer indoor and outdoor. I've had him outdoor a few times and he's the same way (SURPRISE).
I was so upset with his "performance" during his playoff game, that I am considering sending him a certificate , THE BOBBY KNIGHT AWARD, for most obnoxius coach. And perhaps a note that we no longer will tolerate this behavior and he will not be asked to help next year. It's hard to get coaches, but this stuff should not have to tolerated. Any feed back form you guys would be encourging. I'm sure if their could be any legal recourse by him or not. Help.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2001, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
I was so upset with his "performance" during his playoff game, that I am considering sending him a certificate , THE BOBBY KNIGHT AWARD, for most obnoxius coach. And perhaps a note that we no longer will tolerate this behavior and he will not be asked to help next year. It's hard to get coaches, but this stuff should not have to tolerated. Any feed back form you guys would be encourging. I'm sure if their could be any legal recourse by him or not. Help.
I applaud your efforts to educate the coaches and parents. It's sorely needed. I don't think giving this coach the BK certificate would be a good idea. Better to handle it professionally. Perhaps it would be a good idea to demote him back to an asst. coach, under a veteran coach who knows how to control himself and can serve as mentor.

Does he have any legal recourse? No, absolutely not. He's a volunteer and it's your program. Our recreation dept. suspends and bans coaches when necessary.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 31, 2001, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Education is part of the answer! I think that you taking a pro-active part in educating the coaches, fans, and parents is a wonderful idea. I think another part of the solution is. With people who get out of hand(show poor sportsmanship) T them up! They will know that you mean business and if they cross the line, their is a penalty for this! Remember this youth league will be the proving ground for many of tomorrow's high school kids.

AK ref Ref