The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You know it's time to lock the thread when the posts start wandering into "maybe Rodney King had it coming to him" territory.

Mods, do your work.
Rodney King... just a thought, I was watching a show that brought up the whole Rodney King incident. Has anyone on this site ever seen the WHOLE video, including the 13 seconds BEFORE what was shown in court? You know the part where Rodney got in a high speed pursuit with police officers and was failing to respond to the police commands and don't forget the clip when he attacked an officer causing bodily harm to said officer...

Just wondering if anyone else saw that and not just when the officers were taking him into custody?
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 01:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Rodney King... just a thought, I was watching a show that brought up the whole Rodney King incident. Has anyone on this site ever seen the WHOLE video, including the 13 seconds BEFORE what was shown in court? You know the part where Rodney got in a high speed pursuit with police officers and was failing to respond to the police commands and don't forget the clip when he attacked an officer causing bodily harm to said officer...

Just wondering if anyone else saw that and not just when the officers were taking him into custody?
Reasonable people do not care what happen before the parts of the tape were shown. What we care about is what we saw on the tape. Even if he did not listen to police and their direct orders, the police had ample opportunity to take control of the situation and choose to continue to beat them. I have seen many times just on the show “Cops” how several officers take over a situation rather quickly and do not need to constantly beat an individual they way they did Mr. King. I also do not care the character of Rodney King either and how it plays into this situation. There are a lot of incidents with Police that I have witnessed personally that have abused their power and were punished for it. Police officers are not above the law and this was just the case that brought the media and other incidents to the forefront.

Now that is my political statement for the day.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Reasonable people do not care what happen before the parts of the tape were shown. What we care about is what we saw on the tape. Even if he did not listen to police and their direct orders, the police had ample opportunity to take control of the situation and choose to continue to beat them. I have seen many times just on the show “Cops” how several officers take over a situation rather quickly and do not need to constantly beat an individual they way they did Mr. King. I also do not care the character of Rodney King either and how it plays into this situation. There are a lot of incidents with Police that I have witnessed personally that have abused their power and were punished for it. Police officers are not above the law and this was just the case that brought the media and other incidents to the forefront.

Now that is my political statement for the day.

Peace
I value your comments and not to get off track anymore than we already have, but I want to just make one more comment.

I just burried a brother police officer not much longer than a month ago, after he was shot in the head at point blank range by a suspect when my brother responded to a domestic related call. At this point in my life, MY SAFETY is most important at all times so I can go home to my family at the end of my shift. To most people this is going to sound insensitive but I really am not. If I throw a few extra punches to an uncooperative suspect I am trying to take into custody, and that allows me to go home at the end of my shift... so be it! He shouldn't have resisted in the first place.

Anyways, thats all I wanted to say since someone brought up the good old Rodney King case....
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Or alternatively.....

Do you mean here?

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 04:39am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Rodney King got his tale kicked and they were acquitted from any wrong doing. So you tell me.

WRONG--Two police officers went to prison, and two others were fired.

Reasonable people do not care what happen before the parts of the tape were shown. What we care about is what we saw on the tape. Even if he did not listen to police and their direct orders, the police had ample opportunity to take control of the situation and choose to continue to beat them. I have seen many times just on the show “Cops” how several officers take over a situation rather quickly and do not need to constantly beat an individual they way they did Mr. King.

WRONG AGAIN--Reasonable people are the only ones who care about the what happened on the whole tape. The people who are uninformed and narrow minded and want to shape every situation into something that will benefit them, are the people who only care about what we saw on the news.

Please don't tell me that you form your opinion of law enforcement from watching COPS. That is like forming your opinion of athletes by watching WWF. COPS is a television show produced for entertainment, please take it for what it is.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You know it's time to lock the thread when the posts start wandering into "maybe Rodney King had it coming to him" territory.

Mods, do your work.
I second the motion!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Before this gets locked, Dan Wetzel of Sports Illustrated had a coherent view of this latest Bobby Knight incident. ESPN is like the National Enquirer when it comes to certain people, while others get a pass.

Article at http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
WRONG AGAIN--Reasonable people are the only ones who care about the what happened on the whole tape. The people who are uninformed and narrow minded and want to shape every situation into something that will benefit them, are the people who only care about what we saw on the news.

Please don't tell me that you form your opinion of law enforcement from watching COPS. That is like forming your opinion of athletes by watching WWF. COPS is a television show produced for entertainment, please take it for what it is.
My father used to work in the Dallas County Coroners office as a Lab Technician and would do autopsies and analyze police shootings. He worked in that office for about 5 years before retiring from his main profession. It was funny how you would watch the local news and the story would be one thing from the cops and the reality would be something completely different with the people that actually saw the body. It was funny how many times we would hear that the police shot someone based on what the cops thought (he had a gun, he was threatening us) then when my father would talk about the evidence, it did not match. For example how many police shootings would involve the "suspect" being shot in the back and no gun was present, but the police claimed some 15 year old had a gun.

Secondly, I have dealt with Cops in traffic stops and the stuff they ask and assume things that are absurd. So my feelings on cops are not limited to a TV show and I did not say my only opinion was based on that. I just know that Cops will lie and have lied (come watch some news around here about police brutality and behavior with the public). The wonderful thing is that most cops are wonderful, hard working people. But just like we say about officials, "one official makes the rest of us look bad." Well that is really true with cops when life or death is at stake. Everything cops do or say is not legal or moral.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Well, my friend...a good lawyer might just debate with you weather or not this kid was in fear.
Well, he'd have to have the kid on his side to have any case; and I think we all know where the player stands here....
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:36pm
Huck Finn

I think it is funny how the comments about coach K get ignored. I'm still trying to decide who is the most overhyped coach of all time, coach K or Dean Smith.

Vitale was doing an Indiana/Butler game the other night and out of the blue said, "I can't wait to see Duke..." He is so obviously biased when it comes to Duke it is sickening.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I'm still trying to decide who is the most overhyped coach of all time, coach K or Dean Smith.
Heresy!

Heresy, I tell ya!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide who is the most overhyped coach of all time, coach K or Dean Smith.
Now for my favorite Bobby Knight quote of all time; "That was a stupid question. Would you like to start over?"
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:52pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Now for my favorite Bobby Knight quote of all time; "That was a stupid question. Would you like to start over?"
Why was it stupid, are they tied?
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why was it stupid, are they tied?
I was just looking for an excuse to throw out the quote; sorry you got caught in the middle.