The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Please allow me to clarify my ultimate point. I'm not advocating that we use such a rule (or interpretation as it currently stands), but I believe that the combination of empowering the official to take action by having such a rule in the book and the coach knowing that a penalty CAN be assessed in such a situation provides the necessary impetus for the coach to ensure that his bench personnel behave properly.

Of course, it should be used judiciously, and it is probably best wielded as just a threat rather than actually employed. However, in my opinion, having it be that way is greatly preferable to declaring that if the official can't pinpoint an individual offender then nothing can be done about it.

That is my belief as to why the rule exists in both NFHS soccer and NCAA basketball.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 04:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I should note that I don't have a problem with this ruling. There is grounds for it in the NFHS system.
And you call yourself replacing Chuck?!?
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Oh no, I've already admitted that his shoes are too big for me to fill!
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The problem is that it's piss poor officiating. If I don't know who made the remark, then I'm not doing anything, except possibly warning the head coach. How the hell can you call a T when you don't know who made the statement?
So I am C, directly in front of the bench, with my back to them and "somebody" pops off with, "these refs are all fat pieces of ****!" Are you saying that you let that go simply because you don't know or can't see who said it?
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 04:15pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I tell the kids that if someone doesn't own up to it, it will be directly charged to the head coach.