Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Scrapper,
Basically, it's a CYA thing.
That's one of the Golden Rules of Officiating, which can also be unfortunate at times.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The ruling posted by Nevadaref doesn't say we HAVE to forfeit the game. It says, "In this situation, the referee has support and authority to forfeit the game. Any act which makes a travesty of the game may result in forfeiture."

It says that the rules support a forfeit, and this act may result in a forfeit. Are you saying that we should interpret that as a mandate to forfeit after the first technical for refusing to sub? I'm just asking.
Scrapper,
I just went through the new Case Book for the 2006-07 season and read all of the rulings with a * because that means that they are new or have changed. I do this before each new season. Look what I found for you!

FORFEITURE
*5.4.1 SITUATION A: A1 commits his/her fifth personal foul. Both the head coach and player are properly notified. Team A has substitutes available but the head coach from Team A does not send a substitute to the table within the 30-second time limit. The Team A head coach is assessed a technical foul. The head coach still does not send a substitute to the table. RULING: The official should forfeit the contest to the opposing team for the head coach delaying the contest and attempting to make a travesty of the game. COMMENT: The referee may forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical foul penalty.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
RULING: The official should forfeit the contest to the opposing team for the head coach delaying the contest and attempting to make a travesty of the game. COMMENT: The referee may forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any technical foul penalty.[/COLOR]
The underlined words still seem to give the official some leeway, but I guess it's pretty clear what they want you to do. Thanks, Nevadaref.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The underlined words still seem to give the official some leeway, but I guess it's pretty clear what they want you to do. Thanks, Nevadaref.
That's because if there is a crowd at the door with a noose, and you would have to award the game to the visiting team via forfeit, you need to have room to use your judgment.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:39am
MABO Member

Quote:
This is interesting because I had the exact thing happen in a game last night. Team A is playing with a short bench, 7 players. two players fouls out and with 4 minutes left in the game a third gets his second Direct T. Coach goes off on my partner so she T'd him up. Coach would not leave it alone even after I asked him to refrain and if he could not then he could watch the remainder from outside the gym doors. I asked him to sit down and relax, but as this is not a requirement in NCAA he goes off on me now telling me I can't tell him to do something that is not part of the rules. I informed him I could because he was being disruptive and gave him his second T. Perhaps I could have been more leaniant. Short story long Assistant was not willing to sit on bench as head coach so the game was over.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Short story long Assistant was not willing to sit on bench as head coach so the game was over.
Are you saying that the assistant was not willing to coach the team? Or are you saying that the assistant was not willing to be "seatbelted" while acting as head coach?

If the assistant was unwilling to coach, then it seems like that person shouldn't be on the coaching staff.

The second question made me wonder if the assistant gets to use the coaching box after the head coach is ejected in NCAA. I know in HS the answer is "no". But can the "acting head coach" use the box in NCAA? I looked through Rule 10, but couldn't find anything that says so. Is there an AR anywhere that addresses this?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:38pm
MABO Member

He was not confident enough to act as Head coach. Coaching is voluntary and not a paid position in this league. NCAA does not seatbelt head coaches, so if the Assistant is acting as the head coach, they get the use of the box.

In NCAA even if you T the coach he does not get seatbelted. So if they are disrupting the game you give them 2 and problem is solved.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
if the Assistant is acting as the head coach, they get the use of the box.
Is that written somewhere? Rule reference or AR?

Quote:
In NCAA even if you T the coach he does not get seatbelted.
That one, I knew!
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:43pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Is that written somewhere? Rule reference or AR?
Rule 10 ..... Bench restrictions I believe says the Head coach has use of the box. I take it that when the head coach is ejected the Assistant takes over duties of Head coach and therefore would have use of the box. I can't find any other references, so I may be wrong.

Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Rule 10 ..... Bench restrictions I believe says the Head coach has use of the box. I take it that when the head coach is ejected the Assistant takes over duties of Head coach and therefore would have use of the box.
The HS rule says the same thing, but it's interpreted to mean that ONLY the head coach can use the box; not the assistant if/when he takes over. So if the college rule reads the same way, do we interpret it the same way?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The HS rule says the same thing, but it's interpreted to mean that ONLY the head coach can use the box; not the assistant if/when he takes over. So if the college rule reads the same way, do we interpret it the same way?
That is only because of the reason the head coach is being replaced. When even a single T is received by the HS coach, the box is lost. In NCAA, the box is not lost.

So, any assistant inherits the privileges and restrictions left to them by the departing coach. In the NCAA, the box remains. In HS, the box is lost because it was lost by the departing coach.

If the departing coach leaves due to illness, the assistant wil have the use of the box unless it has otherwise been lost.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 07:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
If the departing coach leaves due to illness, the assistant wil have the use of the box unless it has otherwise been lost.
In HS? I don't think so!