View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
The time out is the key in this play. We don't want the player to sacrifice his/her next game. So we need a sub legally. The only was is to tell the coach of the A team to call a time out and replace the player.

The play that I listed happened to one of my friends in a high school game. He assessed a T. On the basis that the opposing coach had a valid argument. I wanted to post this thinking this could come up somewhere else.

Time out allows subs to come in that weren't in the game before time ran of the clock.
I'd have to say that your friend was incorrect to assess a technical foul. Technical fouls are based upon a specific rule being broken, not upon whether or not a coach has a valid argument.

In checking the book for you (and your friend), the ONLY rules basis that I could possibly see for assessing a T here are:

10-1-5 . . . Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:
b. Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

and

10-3-6 . . . Delay the game by acts such as:
a. Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.

Both of those would be a stretch.

So I must ask, to whom did your friend charge the technical foul? Was it to the player, to the team, to the head coach?