The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2001, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Kinda of slow in here so I thought I would bring this play up and see what you guys think

No out R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st. B3 hits deep fly to left and runners move up PU calls the out but B3 is hard of hearing or something goes and stays on 1st. The umpires going back to position didnt notice that B3 stayed on 1st, pitcher throws a pitch to B4 not swung at, then the offensive team coach at 3rd bring to attention of PU that B3 is standing on 1st, so then B3 heads to the dugout. The defensive coach comes out yelling that should be an out for illegal runner.

I was the PU and told the defensive coach that it was nothing and basically no harm, no foul it was the offensive coach that had pointed it out and it was my fault for not noticing before the pitch to B4.

Questions

Was this the right call?
What if B4 had swung at the pitch and hit a fair ball before B3 was caught?
Would it make any difference if this was brought up by the defensive coach 1st instead of the offensive coach?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Don
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Unless the ball is put into play, it is nothing. Just remove the player from the base regardless of who brings it to your attention.

If the ball is batted fair and the defense makes a play on the former B3 instead of any active runners or the BR, then interference is your only call. Rule the runner closest to home out and move on. Even though it may have been unintentional, the former B3 had two coaches and a dugout to inform him/her they were ruled out during the lull in play between batters.

Yes, as the umpire, scanning the field before continuing play may have caught the "extra" runner, but I find that the defense will usually chime-up long before an umpire gets to that point.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Since, in baseball, it is a do-over if the inning begins without all defensive players being in position, this is clearly a do-over situation. Doesn't matter what the result of the play, or how many batters came to the plate before it was discovered. Reset to the batter who came up after the out, 0-0 count, and go from there.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Since, in baseball, it is a do-over if the inning begins without all defensive players being in position, this is clearly a do-over situation. Doesn't matter what the result of the play, or how many batters came to the plate before it was discovered. Reset to the batter who came up after the out, 0-0 count, and go from there.
You sure you are in the right thread? We are discussing a retired batter staying on base.

Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
You sure you are in the right thread? We are discussing a retired batter staying on base.
Right thread; just a little silliness. A similar leap was made on another board on what to do if R1 & R2 swap bases after a timeout / conference.

I actually agreed with your post, but posting "me too" seemed too boring.