eofficials.com

Anybody a subscriber? Benefits????
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Anybody a subscriber? Benefits????
I looked at it, but it seems awfully expensive. and all the writers are so high-falutin'. I will never work at the D1 or pro level, and don't need to know those skills. Doing HS and JC is different. Frankly, I learn more from this board expecially since it's interactive, and thus can respond to my questions (and insults and bad puns).
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

There are some free areas in there. Check under Affiliates - NCAA. Have to register but it's free.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
There are some free areas in there. Check under Affiliates - NCAA. Have to register but it's free.
Is there anything there that's useful for HS officials?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Instructional videos on things like traveling etc.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

I subscribe the free part and I love the information. I disagree that things D1 officials can teach you are drastically different than what happens at the HS or JC level. If you work any college at all this site is very helpful. If you are just a HS official trying to learn better ways of doing things, what better way to learn then from officials that have dealt with more pressure than you or I have? Officiating is still officiating, what officials do at the higher levels (even pro ball) is not that different than what we do at the JH level.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Not sure I understand what you're asking here...you've been posting elsewhere that as a 'wannabe' you love hearing others post game stories...then you say you're not really so interested in a site that you claim focusses on ball that's above your level.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Not sure I understand what you're asking here...you've been posting elsewhere that as a 'wannabe' you love hearing others post game stories...then you say you're not really so interested in a site that you claim focusses on ball that's above your level.

Good point. My situation at this point is that I'm doing high school ball. Because of my personal situation, I will probably never do anything higher. My schedule and commitments and uncertainties will not allow me to make the commitment necessary to work college, except perhaps as a fill in person for some local JC, perhaps, I suppose. Still, I like to hear about people's experience at the college level, and in that sense, I'm a wannabe.

I'm also well aware that my assignor is constantly nagging people who do both, to NOT use college rules, mechanics, interps in the high school game. In that sense, I do myself a disservice if I study college stuff much and it interferes with my high school games. Furthermore, I need to know the high school rules as seen through high school eyes, not as interpreted to me by high level college people.

So I want to hear about Andy's first college games, and about people's play off games, and D1 experiences. I wish I could work those levels. But I'm sure not going to pay $90 to hear them. And espeically not when that information could actually be detrimental to my own "career".

Also, Andy or Jeff, I tried to sign up for the free area, but there's no place to check an affiliation with NFHS, and they won't allow me to "register" if I don't check NCAA, with which I'm not affiliated. Advice?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1. Philosophy on fouls.
2. Videos on plays and situations (the rules are often the same)

Juulie, the best officials I work with at the HS level are officials that have some college experience. Usually HS only officials tend to be very complacent with their knowledge, ability and mechanics. If they did something 20 years ago, they are less likely to evolve and change with the times. In my area we literally have many D1 officials in many sports and the things they teach the rest how to handle situations. Of course rules are different and trying to figure out the rules can be a challenge, but officiating is much more than rules. Also many of the mechanics and rules used at the college levels tend to come down to the HS level (table side after fouls, team control fouls and signal, running out of bounds violation). I highly disagree that someone that only works HS cannot get something from that site. If that was the case, then you should never buy any officiating resource, considering that most of the people that produce that kind of content have college and pro experience. That would also include the NF content and books as well.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm registered for the free side only to get the NCAA bulletins and take the NCAA test. I haven't even looked for the other good stuff that Rut describes.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
1. Philosophy on fouls.
2. Videos on plays and situations (the rules are often the same)

Juulie, the best officials I work with at the HS level are officials that have some college experience. Usually HS only officials tend to be very complacent with their knowledge, ability and mechanics. If they did something 20 years ago, they are less likely to evolve and change with the times. In my area we literally have many D1 officials in many sports and the things they teach the rest how to handle situations. Of course rules are different and trying to figure out the rules can be a challenge, but officiating is much more than rules. Also many of the mechanics and rules used at the college levels tend to come down to the HS level (table side after fouls, team control fouls and signal, running out of bounds violation). I highly disagree that someone that only works HS cannot get something from that site. If that was the case, then you should never buy any officiating resource, considering that most of the people that produce that kind of content have college and pro experience. That would also include the NF content and books as well.

Peace
These things are just plain not true in Oregon. It may be that someone who wlrks only HS could get something from eofficials, but I can't see what it is that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. I didn't say that people with some college experience don't have anything to offer. I just don't see anything on that site that I can't get somewhere else. I don't see that it's worth the time and effort. And they don't even have a way for HS only officials to register, since there "Check affiliations" doesn' have a box for NFHS.

Around here there are many very good HS only officials, who learn and change and improve every year. It's a competitive area, and not the refuge of the incapable. In my own situation, because of my son's health, and other commitments I've made to my church and my family, I will never be able to travel and "get away" to do the college thing. If I have people locally who can tell me the best interp to use for HS, and if I can continue to be the best among high school officials here, why listen to what college officials from Georgia have to say? I'll just have to check that against what my own assignor and coaches here want.

If it's good for you, fine. I'm not knocking the site. Just saying that I doubt it's going to do me any good.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

My opinion based on things I have seen and experienced for myself

Quote:
Also, Andy or Jeff, I tried to sign up for the free area, but there's no place to check an affiliation with NFHS, and they won't allow me to "register" if I don't check NCAA, with which I'm not affiliated. Advice?
The reason you do not see much about the NF, because the NF is not trying to give away their information without being compensated with it. If you have not noticed even on the NF's own web site, you are not going to get much information that is official without paying for it. I do not see this as a problem with the site; I see that as an issue the NF has put themselves in.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And they don't even have a way for HS only officials to register, since there "Check affiliations" doesn't have a box for NFHS.
Yes, they do. Go to the home page, click on either NCAA or NFHS under Affiliates...on the next page, on the left-hand side, there's a free registration under LOG IN for anyone that will get you into both the NCAA and NFHS areas.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 01:45pm.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The reason you do not see much about the NF, because the NF is not trying to give away their information without being compensated with it. If you have not noticed even on the NF's own web site, you are not going to get much information that is official without paying for it. I do not see this as a problem with the site; I see that as an issue the NF has put themselves in.

Peace
You're probably right, but that just means that the site isn't for me. Not that the site has problems, but there's not much for me there.

I also should point out that almost everything on there is going to be geared to 3-whistle. We do exclusively 2-whistle here for hs, and that includes all varsity, play-offs, and tournanment. Again, I don't have anything against 3-whistle, but I don't need to know it. SO studying it isn't going to help me.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yes, they do. Go to the home page, click on either NCAA or NFHS under Affiliates...on the next page, on the left-hand side, there's a free registration under LOG IN for anyone that will get you into both the NCAA and NFHS areas.
I can't find it. I go to the home page, on the left, under Affiliates Area, I click on NFHS. It gives me another page. I click on Login, can't log in because I;'m not registered. Okay, I click on Register Now, I get a form to fill out. In the third section down, it says "Affiliations: Please indicate all affiliations for which you are a member." And there is a box for NCAA which is checked automatically, and there is no other box.

Are you saying I should check the NCAA box, and then the NFHS stuff will come up later? That seems a little disingenuous.