The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

Are you saying I should check the NCAA box, and then the NFHS stuff will come up later? That seems a little disingenuous.
That will get you registered. After you're registered, log in and set your computer to remember your password, etc. There presently isn't much in the NFHS area, but there is quite a lot of useful stuff in the NCAA area that relates directly to the high school game- the traveling/palming/etc. videos for instance.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
These things are just plain not true in Oregon. It may be that someone who wlrks only HS could get something from eofficials, but I can't see what it is that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. I didn't say that people with some college experience don't have anything to offer. I just don't see anything on that site that I can't get somewhere else. I don't see that it's worth the time and effort. And they don't even have a way for HS only officials to register, since there "Check affiliations" doesn' have a box for NFHS.
Considering that the NF does a very poor job of showing video tape, breaking down rules and showing very detailed philosophies on certain aspects of the game. There is a PDF file on how to call post play in great detail. The NF never addresses these kinds of things other than using language and not giving specific examples to what you can actually see or visualize. The only source that the NF uses that comes close is their S & I Rulebook and that only goes so far.

Quote:
Around here there are many very good HS only officials, who learn and change and improve every year. It's a competitive area, and not the refuge of the incapable. In my own situation, because of my son's health, and other commitments I've made to my church and my family, I will never be able to travel and "get away" to do the college thing. If I have people locally who can tell me the best interp to use for HS, and if I can continue to be the best among high school officials here, why listen to what college officials from Georgia have to say? I'll just have to check that against what my own assignor and coaches here want.
I think you missed my point. College officials in order to maintain their status have to attend clinics and require extensive training to keep their slots. That is not the case across the country. Part of the reason I know, is our state is considered on the cutting edge of training across the country because we are using tools that no other state is using. We are using videos, PowerPoint and sports specific materials that go a lot further than what the NF does.

Quote:
If it's good for you, fine. I'm not knocking the site. Just saying that I doubt it's going to do me any good.
I respect that you will not get much out of it, but that does not mean that HS officials would not get something out of it. Just because I get something out of it does not mean everyone here or across the country will get something out of it either. I just think you are taking such a narrow focus to training and education that applies to all levels.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That will get you registered. After you're registered, log in and set your computer to remember your password, etc. There presently isn't much in the NFHS area, but there is quite a lot of useful stuff in the NCAA area that relates directly to the high school game- the traveling/palming/etc. videos for instance.
Okay, well, that seems reasonable. I guess. I just feel a little talked down to when they don't even give someone the option to register as an NFHS official. And, again, the interps are all NCAA. I don't know. It just bugs me.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I also should point out that almost everything on there is going to be geared to 3-whistle. We do exclusively 2-whistle here for hs, and that includes all varsity, play-offs, and tournanment. Again, I don't have anything against 3-whistle, but I don't need to know it. SO studying it isn't going to help me.
Juulie,

Are you saying that people do not have the capacity to decipher between 2 man mechanics and 3 person mechanics? So if you see a block/charge call, you have to see it in 2 man to know if it is the right call?

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Okay, well, that seems reasonable. I guess. I just feel a little talked down to when they don't even give someone the option to register as an NFHS official. And, again, the interps are all NCAA. I don't know. It just bugs me.
They're not talking down. It's just basically an NCAA oriented site. And...quite a bit of the stuff that they have on the NCAA side is directly relevant to the NFHS anyway. There's all kinds of similar rules.

It's very worthwhile imo to check in regularly there.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Shouldn't you at some point remind us that you are paid to write articles for the pay side of this particular officiating web site? You know, full disclosure and all that...
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Shouldn't you at some point remind us that you are paid to write articles for the pay side of this particular officiating web site? You know, full disclosure and all that...
Here's a quarter. . .

Now shut up.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Juulie, I think you are judging the site without even seeing what it has to offer. I have several friends who do only HS ball and have directed them to the site just for the video breakdowns on rules...the local HS association is thinking of checking and seeing if the videos can be used at assoc. meetings as training tools. There's some good stuff there...as said before, the NF is not represented well on the site by the NF's choice - they don't want anyone else disseminating their information...try it out and see what you think. Then come back and let us know what your informed opinion is...

Hey Dan, I used a big word in there just to bug the old fart! Think it will work?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Dissemination will make you go blind.

It's true, it's true....
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
You're probably right, but that just means that the site isn't for me. Not that the site has problems, but there's not much for me there.

I also should point out that almost everything on there is going to be geared to 3-whistle. We do exclusively 2-whistle here for hs, and that includes all varsity, play-offs, and tournanment. Again, I don't have anything against 3-whistle, but I don't need to know it. SO studying it isn't going to help me.
You all dont do 3 man at all?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
It's true, I do get paid to write for this site, but that's not why I'm feeling critical. It just bugs me that they say they're for everyone, but I can't even register without pretending I'm something that I'm not.

But I don't think y'all are understanding my posts very well. I don't think there's anything wrong with eofficials, and I'm not saying it's not worth looking at. I just don't think it's for everyone. It's certainly not "the greatest contribution to officiating in the last 10 years." That kind of over-kill just gets my dander up.

'Nuf said. I'll go be grouchy by myself now...
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
You all dont do 3 man at all?
Let's see, I do only high school, and there's no 3-whistle in high school anywhere, anytime in Oregon, so

2+2 = how many??
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Wimmen......

Can't live with 'em......pass the beernuts.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's true, I do get paid to write for this site, but that's not why I'm feeling critical. It just bugs me that they say they're for everyone, but I can't even register without pretending I'm something that I'm not.

But I don't think y'all are understanding my posts very well. I don't think there's anything wrong with eofficials, and I'm not saying it's not worth looking at. I just don't think it's for everyone. It's certainly not "the greatest contribution to officiating in the last 10 years." That kind of over-kill just gets my dander up.

I really do not think anyone said this site was for everyone. Discussion boards are not for everyone. The paid version of this site is not for everyone. Officiating in general is not for everyone. EOfficial.com is a site is just another resource for someone that is looking for something else to teach other aspects of officiating. Ultimately whether it works is up to each person. I think you have judged the site without really looking at it and taken your personal learning ability into consideration rather than looking at the big picture. Of course not everyone works 2 man and not everyone works beyond HS, but that does not mean those that fit that category could not learn something because you see little value to something in your personal life.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Wimmen......

Can't live with 'em......
...and ya can't shoot 'em