The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
For me, the reason I get away from the injured player is not to "hide" or to give the trainer room. I do it so that I do not give the coach a chance to have a confrontation on the way to his player. It's bad enough that the player is hurt. But it would be worse to have to T the coach because he told me what a lousy job I was doing that let his player get hurt.
I may be wrong, but I think that sort of scenario was involved in the Teddy V/Bobby Knight bruhaha. Knight came on the floor to tend to an injured player and used it as an opportunity to make some comments towards Teddy.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I may be wrong, but I think that sort of scenario was involved in the Teddy V/Bobby Knight bruhaha. Knight came on the floor to tend to an injured player and used it as an opportunity to make some comments towards Teddy.
I think you're right!! I had forgotten about that part of it.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

I would never ask that question.

Regards,
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
I'm shocked and embarrassed at most of the responses to this post.
I received an official NFHS publication along with my rule book and case book this year, which specifically called out what to do in case a player is injured. This is a direct quote from that NFHS publication:

When an injury occurs and the coach and medical personnel are beckoned to assist the injured player, move away from the area immediately. For liability reasons, you don't want to get involved in injury situations. You must avoid the urge to help.

If you're nearby, it's easier for someone to fire an emotional cheap shot at you. For example, the angry coach on the way out to the injured player may say, "This is your fault! The game is way too rough!" There's even more chance for an emotional response if a parent is summoned from the stands. Avoid it all by moving well away from the injured player until the situation is resolved.

So coach, take it up with the NFHS. We're all saying the right thing as instructed by the NFHS.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Lets get back on track....

I think its a great idea, but for a different reason. I think its a game management issue. By the middle of the second quarter, I will have long forgotten what the coach told me.

BUT

If I ask that question during the pregame meet, I have now planted in the coach's mind that we are both here for the same reason: To allow the kids to play. It gives me some common ground with the coach. Kind of a Vulcan Mind control thing. After all, coaches are susceptible to all sorts of tricks.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see how asking that question makes for a better rapport with the coach. And I don't need to do anything specific to let the coach know what I'm there for. Why do you need that? Just be a good referee and everything will work itself out. Do you really think that because you asked a coach if he has any kids with medical issues that he'll be more inclined to be your buddy during the game?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wow SMitty. Your cynicism is showing.

Ever heard of psychology? Ever heard of of being courteous? Don't you believe that any time you can reach out to someone in a stressful situation it can set a positive tone for the day?

Of course the first time I call his PG for a charge he'll be hacked off, but it can't hurt. Or don't you believe in managing the game and just want to blow the whistle when you see a violation?

There is a psychological theory called piling on. Each negative occurrence emotionally stacks up on top of the individual and can cause a lack of control. Subconciously, positive interaction can reduce this tendency. Again, an easy little game management thing. Probably only changes things once a season, but its still a positive action.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

It's pretty amazing that you can tell that much about my personality and character based on that one response. Well done.

So you conclude since I wouldn't ask that medical question, I'm not courteous? Why do you assume that chatting with the coaches pre-game is necessarily a stressful situation that needs some lighthearted banter? You seem to be overcompensating for something. I simply don't feel the need.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75

Ever heard of psychology? Ever heard of of being courteous? Don't you believe that any time you can reach out to someone in a stressful situation it can set a positive tone for the day?
Ever heard of real life?

From my experience, the last thing that any coach wants to do pre-game is try to form a meaningful and lasting relationship with the game officials- unless they're trying to plant some kind of seed or gain an edge. They have got just way too much on their minds to worry about rather than trying to make nice to us. "Reach out to someone in a stressful situation"? You gotta be kidding me. If we intrude on their pre-game routine, we're an irritant.

Introduce yourselves, make sure their kids are legal, ask for questions, read a "sportsmanship" statement if your state requires it...and then get t'hell away from 'em and let them do their jobs.

The quicker, the better imo.

Personally, I save my pyschology skills for the MILF up in the fourth row.