The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Foul B1 , T on coach, another T and coach exits

Had a situation last night.(NAIA game)
Coach has been riding partner the hole first half. He has talked to him a couple of times and finally he told him enough talking! :49 seconds in the half I am C and call a foul on B1 on a drive to the basket that of course the coach doesn't like. After i report and turn to watch free throw administration, i guess the coach did some nice hand jestures and my partner that was getting jumped on already just happened to see him so he "T'd" him up! The coach then walked on the floor at my partner and wanted an explanation and before i could get them calmed down he blew another and tossed him!

We got together and was talking about what shots to shoot first. What do you do when you know you are right and both partners disagree so they do what they want to????

They shot the 2 shots for the foul, then shot 4 "t" free throws and threw it in at half court.... i told them that is wrong, but since i was the "younger, inexperienced" of the 3 they didn't want to listen!

Should we not of shot the 4 "t" throws, then went with POI which was the 2 free throws for team A???? just wanting to make sure....
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Yes, using NCAA rules, you shoot the direct T first, then resume the game with the shots for the personal foul.

Email them the rule and make them buy the beer next time you work together.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Under Fed, they had it right. Just in case someone asks.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

You are right. You go back to POI after all the T FTs. At least this is the way I understand it in both sides of the NCAA rulebook. I could be wrong without deeper investigation.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work a lot of college, but it is my understanding that you were right. Were you the R? If so I would have gone my way and gotten it right.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to go out on a limb here.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I don't work a lot of college, but it is my understanding that you were right. Were you the R? If so I would have gone my way and gotten it right.
If he was the young guy, it is doubtful he would be the R in a college game.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If he was the young guy, it is doubtful he would be the R in a college game.

Peace
Could have been "R" for rookie?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I should slow down and read things. In my defense, if he's the only one that got it right, maybe he should have been the R.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I was not the R, but am tomorrow night, whooo hoooooo! thanks for the replies, will definitely make sure they knew they messed it up!
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Coach has been riding partner the hole first half. He has talked to him a couple of times and finally he told him enough talking! :49 seconds in the half I am C and call a foul on B1 on a drive to the basket that of course the coach doesn't like. After i report and turn to watch free throw administration, i guess the coach did some nice hand jestures and my partner that was getting jumped on already just happened to see him so he "T'd" him up! The coach then walked on the floor at my partner and wanted an explanation and before i could get them calmed down he blew another and tossed him!

We got together and was talking about what shots to shoot first. What do you do when you know you are right and both partners disagree so they do what they want to????

They shot the 2 shots for the foul, then shot 4 "t" free throws and threw it in at half court.... i told them that is wrong, but since i was the "younger, inexperienced" of the 3 they didn't want to listen!

Should we not of shot the 4 "t" throws, then went with POI which was the 2 free throws for team A???? just wanting to make sure....
jritchie,

If you know a 100% that you are right, then I would say to them, "Hey guys, I am sure this is the rule". If they don't agree with you then say, "Guys I will take full responsibility for this." By saying that you are saying that if you get it wrong and the commissioner comes seeking somebody out, then it will be your butt and not there's. After saying that though you can only leave it up to them. If they don't believe you after the last line then they are not good partners any way.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
jritchie,

If you know a 100% that you are right, then I would say to them, "Hey guys, I am sure this is the rule". If they don't agree with you then say, "Guys I will take full responsibility for this." By saying that you are saying that if you get it wrong and the commissioner comes seeking somebody out, then it will be your butt and not there's. After saying that though you can only leave it up to them. If they don't believe you after the last line then they are not good partners any way.
Huh? If I'm the R on the game, the buck stops with me. If we, as a crew, blow a rule, I can't go crawling back to the commissioner saying, "We weren't sure, but the rookie said he'd take full responsibility." If I tried that, I would fully expect to never be the R again. Perhaps never even work for that commissioner again.

While such an offer by the rookie may be well intentioned, I could never accept it. Even if I agreed to go with his input, if it's wrong I would have be the one to take the blame. It was my crew; it was my decision; it was my responsibility.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like the college rule for a couple of reasons. First, it removes the age-old phrase: "penalize them in the order they were committed." That's a very simple, yet effective, concept. Second, it minimizes the effect of the foul penalty. 2 shots and the ball should be the minimum.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Coach has been riding partner the hole

What is this, Brokeback Mountain?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

According to NCAA rules, "
Section 10. Penalty for Unsportsmanlike Conduct of Bench
Personnel

Art. 1. The penalty for a direct technical foul involving unsportsmanlike

conduct of bench personnel shall be two free throws to a player of
the offended team. The ball shall be put back in play at the point of
interruption."

You would shoot all T's before the 2 shot foul. SO you would shoot the 4 free throws with the lane cleared then fill the lane to shoot the personal foul free throws, this is the POI.

What to do if your partners don't want to hear your information....My suggestion would be to say, "I'm 150 percent sure that @ the college level we shoot the T's first then go to POI." If they still don't agree then it would be your resonsibilty to bring this back up in the post game , if you have one. Which it's sounds like your partners wouldn't care to do. Bring out the rule book and discuss the rule. If you still don't get nowhere then leave and report the infraction to you Supervisor.

Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

In honor of Chuck!

Quote:
Coach has been riding partner the whole first half.
Dang you, Padgett, you beat me to it.