The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

This past season's end I suffered a herniated disc in my lower spine. (L4-L5). For those of you who have been through this should I anticipate being in OK shape this coming HS season, or should I consider sitting out a year?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
This past season's end I suffered a herniated disc in my lower spine. (L4-L5). For those of you who have been through this should I anticipate being in OK shape this coming HS season, or should I consider sitting out a year?
I have had one for close to 30 years. Most times I have NO problems and other times I have been confined to the floor.

Each person's herniated disk, depending on its severity is different. My niece had surgery after spending a good deal of time on the floor and is fine.

Mine flares up now and then, and only once could I not do a double header because of it flaring up during a game. But there were times I just couldn't work at all. Then I could do about 50 games with no problems????????

Good Luck
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had one but it was when I was about 23 and I got through it OK. Had some flares, and spent a year or so with problems about 5 years later, mostly due to poor sitting (i.e. bad chair), and sitting for too long. Since then, the occassional ache, but its mostly when I stand still a lot. Part of that is due to being a little thick in the midsection, which is in the process of being corrected. I've lost something like 40 lbs. since August and should lose some more pants sizes (though not necessarily weight) as I get back on my workout programs after being off for an "extended" holiday season.

2 suggestions:

1. Get yourself in tip-top shape. Not only will that help when you do "over-do" it, but I've found that lifting weights and running are the two best things one with back trouble can do. Obviously, you need to get a good program going and if you are just starting that sort of thing, get a trainer to teach you. However, the body responds well to being stressed, and you will feel better overall.

2. At the risk of being mildly hypocritical (because I don't do this enough), STRETCH. And then stretch some more. If you need to get on Pilates or Yoga, that's cool. I probably need to look into one or the other myself. But one problem for those of us with back trouble is the inflexibility of the muscles around our midsection, including upper legs.

I think going inactive is, contrary to what a lot of people think, the WORST thing you can do. When I had my major flareup for about a year, I was inactive and I think the inactivity extended my problem.

Start today with a walking program that works up to a walk/jog and then to a jog. Add a weight routine. You don't have to bench 300. Just get a few dumbells and a swiss ball. Learn how to do lunges, but start slow. If you can be on your feet for 2+ hours without any problem, then you should be OK for the season. If you are still worried, try to have a light schedule to start out.

Good luck. Back pain is something that I don't wish on anyone.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sit out a year???? You've got to be kidding!

I would never, ever consider NOT umpiring.
Even if I have to do it from my "Lazy Boy", on crutches, by television or private courier.

There's always a place for a good official. Whether it be "Special Olympics", the "Over 60 League" or just a local "Rec" league.

I may as well be dead, if I can't be an umpire . . . . somewhere; somehow.

Jerry