The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

There's no need to T them up. They stay on the bench until they are in proper uniform. They'll get the picture after having to wait until the next dead ball a couple of times. If it's the third time it happens, you need to go to the coach, explain the rule, and have them get their players in their uniforms.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Even in cases where the problem is repetitive? This is the third player with the same problem, or the third time with the same player having a problem? Even after warning the coach? I'm thinking of a T after these - not the first time... or even the second for that matter.
David, are you really delaying the game by not allowing a sub to enter or by sending a player out?

You're trying to kill a mouse with an atomic bomb.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I'm not giving a T unless the guys mouths off at me. Just keep send him ot tnebench. He'll get ot the coach will get it. Use my old coaching Butt to Brain technique. Stick his butt on the pin enad pretty soon his brain ususally kicks in. If he's brain damaged and doesn't figure it out his coach ususally will. Or he sits. IMHO a T is probably going to backfire on you in a big way.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
There's no need to T them up. They stay on the bench until they are in proper uniform. They'll get the picture after having to wait until the next dead ball a couple of times. If it's the third time it happens, you need to go to the coach, explain the rule, and have them get their players in their uniforms.
Only if you think it was intentionally done to "show you up."

That will be approximately never.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Only if you think it was intentionally done to "show you up."

That will be approximately never.
True, as always you can't speak of absolutes in our line of work.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
True, as always you can't speak of absolutes in our line of work.
Agree. That's always true.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
David, are you really delaying the game by not allowing a sub to enter or by sending a player out?

You're trying to kill a mouse with an atomic bomb.
I guess this is why I like the concept of the color cards in soccer - a yellow, being a "formal warning" that makes very clear where you stand, and if you continue, you're out. It doesn't penalize the player or the team in any appreciable way, because they can come back in pretty quickly, and they don't play short. A "T" penalizes the player and the team... seems like there should be something between warnings and T's.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Basketball has formal warnings. There are 4 of them for delay of game. Soccer and basketball are entirely different sports. What works for one will not work for the other. At least I'm assuming so because I now absolutely nothing about soccer. More formal warnings would just lead to more work for the scorer's table and many of them can't handle what they do now.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Basketball has formal warnings. There are 4 of them for delay of game. Soccer and basketball are entirely different sports. What works for one will not work for the other. At least I'm assuming so because I now absolutely nothing about soccer. More formal warnings would just lead to more work for the scorer's table and many of them can't handle what they do now.
Not quite the same - a formal warning that lets everyone know that you are designating a specific activity or behavior out of bounds for the players or coach. I didn't mean formal in the sense of the "warning for delay", but more formal than "if you do that again, I'm going to T you up" or "that's not appropriate" or "I don't want to see that again" - the card makes sure everyone is clear on the fact that they have been warned.

They are different sports - I don't know about entirely. Both involve attempting to score goals of some kind, both are timed, both have rules and penalties. Basketball and Swimming are totally different. Basketball and track are totally different. Swimming and Track are similar, in the way that Soccer and Basketball are similar. What works for one will not necessarily work for the other, but there are similarities, and some things do apply to both. For example, jewelry rules are the same for both in NFHS - how you deal with jewelry violations differs.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

You can do the same thing in basketball. If I warn a coach, it will be clear to anyone watching or near them that they have been warned. I step back, put up one hand giving him or her the stop sign and say firmly, "Coach, that's enough". Now when they complain again and get their T, everyone knew it was coming. That's just the way I was taught to do it.