The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, I tend to not start a 3 second count on players standing at the high post without the ball, so I won't know how many seconds he's been up there...but to answer your question more directly - yep, OK with me. What he does next is what I'm concerned with.
Sounds like we agree.

Which is good.

It's not wise to cross Mr. Potatohead...
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Disagree. Fakes are not included and never have been included. The FED clarified that in a memo years ago. The rule (9-9-3)should be called exactly the way that it reads. You give a player allowance to finish dribbling to the basket or moving immediately to shoot(which basically means the "act"of shooting" as defined under R4-41).
JR,
Do you have a copy of this memo? If so could you locate and post it for us? I'd be happy to see such a clarification myself.
Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

does the FED allow any allownaces for "immediately" and what are the cases to show that. Because "immediately" could be different for someone who is slow compared to someone who is quick.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
does the FED allow any allowances for "immediately" and what are the cases to show that. Because "immediately" could be different for someone who is slow compared to someone who is quick.
See the RULING in case book play 9.2.7. It says "The count on a player is suspended when that player begins a try for goal".. Iow, you keep counting until...citing rule 4-41-2...a player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal". Throwing for goal is a "try", and that's defined in rule 4-41-3--"The try starts when the player bregins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball".. Iow, you suspend the 3-second count to let a player shoot. If they don't shoot, but pass instead, then the allowance doesn't apply.

The count is also suspended if the player dribbles straight to the basket and then goes directly into a "try".

"Immediately" just means that the player doesn't stop at any time during the dribble and/or try to make some fakes, pass the ball or check out the cheerleader in the front row with the big gabonzas.