Thread: 3 seconds
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Give them the benefit of the doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Always Right
First of all - I have to say that 3 seconds is not in my priorities on the floor, however, during our annual clinic we had an instructor that has interperted this rule a certain way and it appears to differ from the "norm" of our association.
Having that said, here is the sitch: A player enters the lane while dribbling and has their head and shoulders in front of the primary defender, secondary defenders then stop the advancement toward the goal and the offensive player then picks up the dribble. While pivoting to keep "working for the shot", the offensive player does not leave the key. The problem is the ambiguity of the rule. When you read it, you will understand what I mean.
The questions are these:
Do you suspend the 3 second count while the offensive player keeps "working for their shot"?
Could you have a 5 second closely guarded before you have 3 second violation?
The problem I have with the ambiguity is the wording about a shot.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your candor.
TR

I don't have records to show it, but I think on this type of play most good officials will give the player the benefit of the doubt as long as he's making a legitimate attempt to score.

The reason I say that is you very seldom see 3 seconds called on a player with the ball simply because he's not gaining an advantage which is the basic purpose of the 3 second rule.

Now if the player passes out etc.,

I think you see this type of play also much more frequently in ladies ball vs mens ball.

Thanks
David