The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
New NCAA TO Rule

Did my first scrimmage yesterday afternoon. Couple of Jucos. Went very smoothly and was actually a nice way to ease back into things. And even got my first experience with the new TO rule. Classic case, kid jumps toward the endline, catches the ball, looks right at me and yells "Time out!"

Surprisingly, I didn't blow the whistle!! I let the kid land OOB, then tweeted and "Out of bounds! Green!" The poor kid just looked at me like, "How could you not hear me say 'time out' "?

I immediately told him it was a new rule and then went to the coach and told him it was the new rule. He laughed and made a joke about not getting the memo or something.

Everybody's making a big deal about what happens if you forget and accidentally blow the whistle to grant the TO. But it honestly wasn't difficult at all to hold off. I don't think it's going to be a problem. Anybody else have it come up yet?

Had another scrimmage today and had a kick with less than 15 on the shot clock. I get that maybe once or twice a year total. Maybe that was my one time for this year.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Everybody's making a big deal about what happens if you forget and accidentally blow the whistle to grant the TO. But it honestly wasn't difficult at all to hold off. I don't think it's going to be a problem. Anybody else have it come up yet?
Nope, haven't had it come up yet.

Then again my first scrimmage is Tuesday...maybe it won't be a big deal for me too.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Worked my first scrimmage yesterday also. We took the time prior to tip to take a few minutes and talk about the rules changes that they would be dealing with. We covered this one in some detail mentioning that this one is the one that will confuse most fans and players (for a few games). If you have additional scrimmages I suggest taking a few minutes to explain to the players and coaches what the changes are, this will help them to understand what officials are being asked to do.

As far as a quick whistle on the play, we also told them that if this did happen that the officials would have some 'splaining to do. If we kill it while the defensive player has the ball, we have the dreaded inadvertant whistle, which goes to POI, which still results in the defense getting the ball that they really shouldn't have gotten.

PS. We also talked about the POE's.

Last edited by icallfouls; Sun Oct 22, 2006 at 08:15pm.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a couple of scrimmages already, and it hasn't come up yet. I can picture it not being a problem in the first half, but I'm worried it won't happen to me until later in the season, at the end of a close game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Surprisingly, I didn't blow the whistle!! I let the kid land OOB, then tweeted and "Out of bounds! Green!" The poor kid just looked at me like, "How could you not hear me say 'time out' "?
Did you ask him if he still wanted the time-out?
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Did you ask him if he still wanted the time-out?
No. He clearly didn't.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. He clearly didn't.
I was just being silly because my CC assignor told us to make sure we asked if they still wanted a time-out in that exact situation where they requested one and we didn't grant it. I remember thinking to myself, "a player wouldn't still want that time-out in 100 out of 100 times." I won't be asking either.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah chuck I had a scrimmage the other day and had a kick and gave the reset signal and looked up at the clock which had 25 on there and I had to go back to the table and tell them to put 25 back up. Minor mess up but I came back with a quick save.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I did my first tournament this weekend and one of my partners had the classic TO request from a player jumping out-of-bounds. He did it by the book; waited and called OOB. The player midly complained and later admitted he knew of the rule change but thought he might get away with it just the same.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

had a scrimmage where a kid was flying OOB to save the ball and kicked it up to himself then gained possesion and requested a TO. I awarded the TO then called him for a Kickball violation then T'd up the coach.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I awarded the TO then called him for a Kickball violation then T'd up the coach.
This doesn't seem to me to be the best approach to your situation.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I awarded the TO then called him for a Kickball violation then T'd up the coach.
Quote:
This doesn't seem to me to be the best approach to your situation.
Or maybe he was joking?

Speaking of getting a joke?

Chuck?

Hello?!?!?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Or maybe he was joking?
Could be, but there was no smiley. Even if it wasn't a joke, there was probably a reason for it, like the kid had been a jerk for the whole game. But even the suggestion seemed inappropriate. If it'd been me, and the kid had been a jerk the whole game, I would've simply called the kick violation and then puked on his shoes.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 01:22pm.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

i Puked on the coach but after I had called a TC foul for the player as he fell out of bounds he ran over a stationary defender who was picking up his shoelace that had fallen off and flown out of bounds.

my assignor wasn't happy with that play so I agreed and we had a coffee and watched a movie.

good thing my assignor wasn't and engunir otherwise he would have let me Stagnet and not anything

Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:41pm
M.A.S.H.

So did they change the kicked ball violation again this year? Above 14 it stays, 14 or below it is set to 15. Is this correct?