The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Texas vs Tenn game the other day...Texas hits a trey to take a 63 - 60 lead with 1 second on the clock. Texas bench pours onto the floor in celebration and gets hit with a technical. Not knowing the NCAA rules, I was surprised it was just one tech when 4 or 5 players from the bench came racing onto the floor. But I was wondering, what should happen if that were a HS game....obviously, the clock would not have been stopped after the made basket, but let's say the shot is made with clearly a couple of seconds still left, and the bench, in their exuberance, thinking its over, races out on the court in celebration....is everyone who enters the court assessed a T? or would it be handled as it was in the UT/UT game?
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I would issue one technical foul, put the time I had definite knowledge about back on the clock and go from there. Probably gonna have another T on the coach pretty quick when he/she realizes they may have just cost themselves the game.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

For NF, 10.5-G covers this pretty much the same as the game officials.

In a high school game where the clock is not stopped after a made basket, I might be tempted to find 2 players to specifically T, as team B has lost any possibility of a quick play for a 3.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I have to believe that the T would be for having more than five team members participating, so it is only one T charged to the team. However, if the coach also ran onto the floor, he would be out of the coaches box and subject to a T as well.
This would really be pushing it though.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

The rule book addresses only one T when the bench players enter the court during a fight (and don't participate). Rule 10-4-4: Penalty: Flagrant foul, disqualification of individual, but only one T regardless of number of offenders. Coach gets one indirect T, and , if he also enters the court, gets one direct T.

The situation above that MDRAY questions does not involve entering the court during a fight. Rule 10-4-2 states that bench personnel shall not enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player. And, Rule 10-4-1(g) remarks about team members rising from the bench in excitement, but immediately sitting down not being penalized (my wording). The penalty for articles 1 and 2: two free throws plus ball. Foul is charged to the offender and indirectly to head coach. So, according to rule it seems that EACH player will be assessed a T.

Not sure if that is how it would be handled in reality, but would like to see if a rule states differently.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
So, according to rule it seems that EACH player will be assessed a T.

Not sure if that is how it would be handled in reality, but would like to see if a rule states differently.
10.5 G, while not exactly the same situation gives the "spirit" of the rule in the ruling - "It is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul."
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Think of it in these terms.

When that first player stepped onto the floor, the ball becomes dead and it was a T.

I've got one T, 2 FTs, and B's ball at the division line. THis one may not be over.

And if the coach is stupid enough to get a T in this sitch, that's her problem.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I've got one T, 2 FTs, and B's ball at the division line. THis one may not be over.
In NCAA, this would be a POI situation wouldn't it? The only time you award possession as part of the penalty for a T is for an intentional (dead ball contact) or flagrant technical foul. This situation doesn't seem to fit into either of those categories. So if the T was against Team A, I think I'd shoot the 2 FTs and then award the ball to Team B (since A had just scored a basket) anywhere along the endline under A's basket. Is that right?

Chuck
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I've got one T, 2 FTs, and B's ball at the division line. This one may not be over.
In NCAA, this would be a POI situation wouldn't it? The only time you award possession as part of the penalty for a T is for an intentional (dead ball contact) or flagrant technical foul. This situation doesn't seem to fit into either of those categories. So if the T was against Team A, I think I'd shoot the 2 FTs and then award the ball to Team B (since A had just scored a basket) anywhere along the endline under A's basket. Is that right?
Now Chuck, did you really think I was referring to NCAA rules?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck
Chuck - You'd be correct under NCAA rules. Tony was correct in his interpretation according to NFHS rules.

jkt
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Now Chuck, did you really think I was referring to NCAA rules?
No, I didn't, but the original post was an NCAA sitch. So I was offering the NCAA outcome. Just making sure. Merry Christmas!

Chuck
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Important difference

It was an important distinction in this game, too.

Tennessee ended up with the ball under their own basket (POI) and had to throw a 70 foot pass downcourt that never resulted in a shot. In a FED game, the ball would've been put in play at the division line opposite the table.

Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently we had the same thing happen Friday night in Utah.
Overtime game with one second left to go and score is tied. Home team at the line to shoot shots. The shooter makes one, the crowd goes wild and a sophomore on the bench runs out on to the floor and swings jersey in the air.

The officials call a T---- player misses second FT, the Visitors go down make two to go ahead and get the ball

I understand the coach grabbed the player and the kid ended up in about the third row...

Call it stupid player tricks that cost the game.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Was the player named Rudd?