The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Junker, I would just say go with your heart. I will be working a couple of collegiate jamborees this weekend. However, I have made my decision I prefer Women.
I prefer women also.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I will say this, most the Women's officials that I know as a whole tend to be less experienced then their Men's official’s counterparts. I know female officials that worked college within their 2 and 3 years of overall officiating that have D3 experience. I have been working 10 years and I have yet to get a shot at the D3 level along with many other officials I have worked with. And the JUCO conference I work, I am by far one of the least experienced officials around.
As a young women's official (27 year old male, been doing DII, JUCO, NAIA for 3 years), I have to agree that the women's side in my area tends to hire referees with less experience than the men's counterparts. Although, I must emphasize that it is 100% based on their ability to officiate women's basketball. They don't care if you've been ref'ing for 3 months, 3 years, or 30 years, if you can do the job the way they ask you to do it, you will be hired. I agree with this philosophy completely. When I am ref'ing with a crew, I don't care how long they have officiated, I just want to make sure they handle their business for the entire 40 minutes we are on the court.

Of course, the lack of experience can cause an issue. There are certain situations I have never seen before that I really need to handle before I'm put into the wrong situation. I'm working on seeing as many plays as possible!

I chose to referee college women's basketball because the 2 other young guys in my high school association were in D-I women's. I liked their mechanics and gave it a try. Since I've been in, I have not regretted one minute of it. I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a lot of great college women's officials who are there for support and encouragement. Also, the JUCO women's basketball here in the panhandle of Florida is probably the best in the nation. There have been times where 5 of the 6 teams in the league have been ranked in the top 25 in the nation (including #1 and #3). Conference games are wars and you have to work your a$$ off. From other D-I officials, I have heard that it is as good, if not better than most of the lower level D-I games.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpZebra
Although, I must emphasize that it is 100% based on their ability to officiate women's basketball.
How do you know that? I have never known someone to be hired on anything just based on only one factor. There has to be other factors if you really really think about it. I do not know a single college official that is hired without some factors outside of their ability being a factor being considered (geography, job availability, look, experience, gender, race, recommendations).

Peace
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Quote:
How do you know that? I have never known someone to be hired on anything just based on only one factor. There has to be other factors if you really really think about it. I do not know a single college official that is hired without some factors outside of their ability being a factor being considered (geography, job availability, look, experience, gender, race, recommendations).

Peace
You're right Rut, I was being slightly over dramatic with the 100% and the BOLD. The list you mentioned, definitely factor in. A better way to phrase it would be that years of experience are not a major factor, IMO.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpZebra
You're right Rut, I was being slightly over dramatic with the 100% and the BOLD. The list you mentioned, definitely factor in. A better way to phrase it would be that years of experience are not a major factor, IMO.
Well it is clear that years of experience on the Women’s side do not seem to be a huge factor. I cannot disagree with that observation at all.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Unhappy In the same boat!

I am at that cross road right now. So I know the feeling!!!!
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Where would I start?

I've read all the comments and I also have a desire to do Colligate ball. I have a family and love being home with them, I'm a Pastor and must take care of that family as well. I'm also employed full time (all though saliried), What are some advice and/or direction can any of you give to help in my quest.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 07:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher316
I've read all the comments and I also have a desire to do Colligate ball. I have a family and love being home with them, I'm a Pastor and must take care of that family as well. I'm also employed full time (all though saliried), What are some advice and/or direction can any of you give to help in my quest.
...On your knees, Rev.
Good luck with it.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Oh, grief, Rut. I mean, really. "Being able to officiate" is one phrase, but it is not really just one "factor." It includes play-calling, game management (which includes communication skills and rules knowledge, among many other "factors"), fitness/image, and many other "factors." Are you just looking to jump on something?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:33am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy's friend says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher316
I've read all the comments and I also have a desire to do Colligate ball. I have a family and love being home with them; I'm a Pastor and must take care of that family as well. I'm also employed full time (although saliried), What are some advice and/or direction can any of you can give to help in my quest?
  • collegiate
  • salaried
  • semi-colon after "them" to separate two complete thoughts
  • although instead of "all though"
  • either a lowercase w, or a period
  • change are to is
  • move can to the location of the blue can
  • question mark after the sentence asking a question

Edit: Does anyone know how to use the strikeout tag in a message?

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Oct 20, 2006 at 11:33pm.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Does anyone know how to use the strikeout tag in a message?
K
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
K
Cute...
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

nex time I will not be on the run and I'll check all fo that. Thanks
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
Are you just looking to jump on something?
It looks like you are trying to jump on something. The person that I was talking to (which was not you BTW) seemed to get my point rather clearly. Then backed off and clarified their position.

For the record, officials that work college ball (especially at the D1 level) are always going to be hired for reasons outside their actual officiating on the court.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Oct 20, 2006 at 08:13am.