The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:13am
MPLAHE

Question substitution question

exam question: A player who has been withdrawn may not re-enter before the next, opportunity to substitute after the ball becomes live following his/her replacement.

the correct answer ( per the exam) was false. rule 3-3-4 states "a player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement."

I remembered that once a player was replaced he couldn't come back in until after the clock started, but the question talks about the ball becoming live. If the correct answer is false, I assume the distinction is between the clock running vs becoming live.

Another one that confused me was the following: A substitute who legally enters the game during a dead-ball period may not be withdrawn during that same dead-ball period. The correct answer was false. Following the logic of 3-3-3 and 4, a player is legal once he enters the court, and the player leaving becomes bench personnel. Is he not the "replaced" player and subject to the restrictions in 3-3-4?
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

The first statement is false. Example: A1 comes out of the game before the first shot of a 1 & 1. He returns to the table. THe shot is made. He cannot re-enter, even though the ball becamse live, because the clock has not started.

The second statement is false. The statement says nothing about a replaced player. It's talking about the sub who went in. Yes, he can be replaced during the same dead ball players. Players can always come out. Coming in is the sticky part.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 11:31am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLAHE
Another one that confused me was the following: A substitute who legally enters the game during a dead-ball period may not be withdrawn during that same dead-ball period. The correct answer was false. Following the logic of 3-3-3 and 4, a player is legal once he enters the court, and the player leaving becomes bench personnel. Is he not the "replaced" player and subject to the restrictions in 3-3-4?

The "replaced player" is the one on the bench and is subject to the restrictions you mentioned. Any other player could come in and replace the last substitute to enter the game.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

so does this include a player with blood on their uniform? 3-6 says they must leave the game. Since this is directed by the official, then with the exception of a timeout they cannot return right away, correct?
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwilco
so does this include a player with blood on their uniform? 3-6 says they must leave the game. Since this is directed by the official, then with the exception of a timeout they cannot return right away, correct?
If a player is ordered to leave the game because he's bleeding, the coach can use a timeout before sending in a sub.

Once a sub enters the game, the replaced player cannot re-enter the game until time runs off the clock, under any circumstances.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If a player is ordered to leave the game because he's bleeding, the coach can use a timeout before sending in a sub.

Once a sub enters the game, the replaced player cannot re-enter the game until time runs off the clock, under any circumstances.
What if a subsequent foul caused there to be only 4 elegible players. Should we allow the player who just left the game to re-enter even if there was not a clock start, or should we make the player wait until after a clock start?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Durkee
What if a subsequent foul caused there to be only 4 elegible players. Should we allow the player who just left the game to re-enter even if there was not a clock start, or should we make the player wait until after a clock start?
I think BktBallRef already answered it: "Once a sub enters the game, the replaced player cannot re-enter the game until time runs off the clock, under any circumstances".

Now, I would think the chances of a player being substituted for, and a 5th foul happening before the clock starting, would be very rare. But I would leave the player out and have them play with 4 until the 5th is elegible to come in. Remember, the team can play with 4 if there is no eligible substitute available.

Now, if it's a lower-level grade school game, my whistle might blow inadvertantly right after the clock started, so the team with the ball gets it back, and the 5th player would be allowed back in.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I still am unclear about a bleeding player. If a coach grabbed a shirt and the player threw it on can he stay in? If I tell the player about it, does that he mean he must stay out and a sub must come in? I read rule and case book and could not find this addressed, (whcih probably means it was right in front of me and I missed it). Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwilco
I still am unclear about a bleeding player. If a coach grabbed a shirt and the player threw it on can he stay in? If I tell the player about it, does that he mean he must stay out and a sub must come in? I read rule and case book and could not find this addressed, (whcih probably means it was right in front of me and I missed it). Thanks.
First off, if the coach tosses him a shirt and he changes it right there, it is a technical foul for removing his shirt.

That said, if you direct a player to leave the court for blood, he must leave, unless the coach buys him back in with a time out. If he buys him in, the player must be ready to go by the end of the time-out period.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
That said, if you direct a player to leave the court for blood, he must leave, unless the coach buys him back in with a time out. If he buys him in, the player must be ready to go by the end of the time-out period.
Some here might find fault with your phrasing.