The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Thank goodness I get my own games (no assigning association -- we go straight to the conferences and schools) and this would NOT be a factor for me. One of my regular partners wears glasses and he's a top-notch official.

This "perception" is kept alive by OTHER OFFICIALS. I don't think non-officials really care whether or not you're wearing glasses. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.
Thanks Rich...that perception by other officials is what I think might be the problem

BTW, eye surgery is OUT of the question
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
so guess where the problem lies?
Facial hair, beer bellies, and several other physical factors.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank goodness I get my own games (no assigning association -- we go straight to the conferences and schools) and this would NOT be a factor for me. One of my regular partners wears glasses and he's a top-notch official.

This "perception" is kept alive by OTHER OFFICIALS. I don't think non-officials really care whether or not you're wearing glasses. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.
Actually, the "perception" is kept alive by assignors, coaches, athletic directors, state tournament observers, other officials, fans etc. etc. ......

It sucks, I agree. But perception is a huge part of officiating. I'd love to be about 6'4" instead of 6'0" but that isn't going to happen so I work on the things I can control like fitness, mechanics, athletic movement etc. Wearing contacts instead of glasses is one thing I can control too.

You may find a few officials who are able to work very high levels with glasses on, but that doesn't mean the perception doesn't exist. As others have said, show me some premiere D-1 officials or NBA officials who wear glasses.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Actually, the "perception" is kept alive by assignors, coaches, athletic directors, state tournament observers, other officials, fans etc. etc. ......

It sucks, I agree. But perception is a huge part of officiating. I'd love to be about 6'4" instead of 6'0" but that isn't going to happen so I work on the things I can control like fitness, mechanics, athletic movement etc. Wearing contacts instead of glasses is one thing I can control too.

You may find a few officials who are able to work very high levels with glasses on, but that doesn't mean the perception doesn't exist. As others have said, show me some premiere D-1 officials or NBA officials who wear glasses.
Z - I'm 5' 10" and also have some facial hair(stash) My goal was to someday work at the district final level(done ) and never had a goal of working D1 or NBA(although I have done some D-3 ). So...I still think I'll go with wearing the specks Thanks for your opinions
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You really did not say this and believe it do you?

If you think fans and coaches do not question the eyesight of the officials (and with glasses you are telling the whole world you have to have vision correction on some level) then I do not know what world you are living in. It does not matter what system of assigning you live in, someone that has some power over assignments just might hold you back because of something this minor. Just like someone will hold you back for other physical features and you would never know the reasons why you were not hired or asked back. Also, there are always exceptions to any rule. Your friend has been able to overcome this to some extent does not mean everyone will be so lucky.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

My $0.02...FWIW

Lots of good discussion and advice here...lots of personal experience which, as usual, varies widely.

When I started officiating, I was told by my trainers that if you walked on the court or field with glasses on, it was already one strike against you. No matter how fit you are, how good your uniform looks, how well you carry yourself, you are still announcing to the world that you can't see without the glasses. Obviously, eyesight is a big part of officiating!

Having glasses on gives that coach and/or player (I don't give a rat's butt about fan comments) an opening to make some comment when a call doesn't go their way. This could lead to issues that may have been avoided completely if you didn't have the glasses on.

Personally, I can't stand to wear glasses and wear contacts full time. I would love to have the surgery, but I currently have two kids with braces right now.
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You really did not say this and believe it do you?

If you think fans and coaches do not question the eyesight of the officials (and with glasses you are telling the whole world you have to have vision correction on some level) then I do not know what world you are living in. It does not matter what system of assigning you live in, someone that has some power over assignments just might hold you back because of something this minor. Just like someone will hold you back for other physical features and you would never know the reasons why you were not hired or asked back. Also, there are always exceptions to any rule. Your friend has been able to overcome this to some extent does not mean everyone will be so lucky.

Peace
I think the only ones who care ARE the non-officials. The only reason officials care is because they're considering what the non-officials say/think.
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H
I've been an official here in Pa for about 15 yrs. While coming up through the JV ranks I always wore my glasses and not contact lens since I thought they were uncomfortable. A few senior officials told me the only way I would get moved up to varsity ball was to wear contacts, so I tried them again. After doing so, I was moved up and have enjoyed doing varsity ball for going on 9 yrs now and even got to do a district final last year. I still don't like wearing contacts and only wear them to do varsity ball. This being said, last March I developed a serious eye infection from using a bad lot of contact lens solution from a manufacturer that was in the news earlier this year. My eye is 100% healed now but...I've decided not to wear contacts ever again after going through that mess. Sooo, my question is...does anyone wear their glasses while officiating? If so, do you do varsity ball? I'm curious to see what if anything is said this season when I wear my glasses and not the contacts. Hopefully nothing.
I'd worn glasses/contacts for years, usually wearing glasses at work (lots of staring at a computer screen) and contacts for more active things (such as basketball). Occasionally, if I was out of contact lens solution, or forgot them at home, I'd wear glasses to a game. It would occasionally lead to a sarcastic comment, but the type of people you hear it from are the kind of coaches/players/fans that would be in your face about something even if you didn't wear glasses.

That said, I used (the equivalent of) my game fees from the last year or two to get myself laser eye surgery this summer - now I'm ready to go with 20/16 vision in both eyes! It might not be something you're interested in (there is a definite "ick" factor, especially if you just had a bad experience with an infection, and it can be fairly costly), but I would highly recommend it for anyone who's on the fence right now.
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I wear my contacts during the game. Then when leaving I put my glasses on just to hear the fans complain!!
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dow
I wear my contacts during the game. Then when leaving I put my glasses on just to hear the fans complain!!
You should try wearing those glasses when you're driving a front-end loader.

Really.....

Seriously.....
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

The trouble is that I saw what I was doing wrong in the loader!!
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
You will never work the highest level games, sorry preceived or not, wearing glasses.

Do what you want but I would have never worked D-1 basketball wearing glasses.

Get Lasik or contacts or work a lower level schedule.

Do what you want and live with it.

Regards,
Here's a guy that wore glasses for high level games.....

Hell, he did OK with just one eye!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/sp...all/08ref.html
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I went the lasik surgery route several years ago mainly because the contacts bothered my eyes during baseball season (wind). I made the decision after hearing that Tiger Woods had his done. It was the best money I ever spent. I would pay that much each year to renew my vision if necessary. You can't put a price on how much better and easier life is without contacts.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Glasses

Great thread on a subject that interests me quite a bit.

The night before doing my first official clinic (with evaluators), I had a friend optometrist get me in for an exam for contacts. I got a starter pack of throw-aways and about an hour before the clinic, I tried to get them in. Got the first one okay but the second one didn't go in so good. It was in there but "folded" up somewhere. Oh man, I was already nervous about doing the clinic (even if they were just summer camp games) and now I'm scrambling to get the first one out and find the second one that's really messing with my eye. Never got the "bad" one out before the games so I ended up with my glasses on and worrying about the irritation. Made it through that day and tried, unsuccesfully, to get the contacts in again from time to time but never really comfortable with them.

Only doing freshman/JV games so far and it may be awhile until I get any varsity gigs but I'm willing to try the contacts again down the road. As unfair as it seems to have to chuck the glasses for perception purposes, I suppose it's just the way it is. I'm not a candidate for laser.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
Great thread on a subject that interests me quite a bit.

The night before doing my first official clinic (with evaluators), I had a friend optometrist get me in for an exam for contacts. I got a starter pack of throw-aways and about an hour before the clinic, I tried to get them in. Got the first one okay but the second one didn't go in so good. It was in there but "folded" up somewhere. Oh man, I was already nervous about doing the clinic (even if they were just summer camp games) and now I'm scrambling to get the first one out and find the second one that's really messing with my eye. Never got the "bad" one out before the games so I ended up with my glasses on and worrying about the irritation. Made it through that day and tried, unsuccesfully, to get the contacts in again from time to time but never really comfortable with them.

Only doing freshman/JV games so far and it may be awhile until I get any varsity gigs but I'm willing to try the contacts again down the road. As unfair as it seems to have to chuck the glasses for perception purposes, I suppose it's just the way it is. I'm not a candidate for laser.

I have a good friend who wears glasses all the time. After getting "dinged" on some evaluations at a state tournament for wearing glasses, he got fitted for contacts. He struggled like crazy with them, in fact he couldn't seem to get them in by himself. He had his wife put them in for him at home before his games. She hated doing it.

One time I had a game with him and he had forgot to have his wife put them in. He knows that I wear contacts and asked me to put them in for him. It was a little weird (I'm glad nobody walked in while I was doing that), but I did put them in for him (once is enough).

His doctor's assistant finally gave him some personal "fitting training" and after a little practice, he can now do it by himself. Maybe you just need a little help.