The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 01:42am
We don't rent pigs

some things are more important than money

Several years ago I had a confrontation with a jr. high principal, the story of which was related under a thread named "all part of my job?" (I tried to insert a link and couldn't get it to work) I hear the little man is at it again.
A few days ago there were games at his school. Important to note that the officials calling the games are from the association in which the principal himself is a registered official. Jr. high boys game: The principal is not a coach, not acting in any official capacity, just sitting and watching the game.
Official calls backcourt and the principal erupts vocally against the call. The ref whacks the principal. The principal proceeds to shout, not once, but several times: (paraphrased) "You can't T me! I'm not gonna pay you! You call a T on me and you're not getting paid!" After a brief pause, (maybe to wait for a break in the uproar) the ref said to the scorer, "Whether I get paid or not, that's a technical foul on him."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Several years ago I had a confrontation with a jr. high principal, the story of which was related under a thread named "all part of my job?" (I tried to insert a link and couldn't get it to work) I hear the little man is at it again.
A few days ago there were games at his school. Important to note that the officials calling the games are from the association in which the principal himself is a registered official. Jr. high boys game: The principal is not a coach, not acting in any official capacity, just sitting and watching the game.
Official calls backcourt and the principal erupts vocally against the call. The ref whacks the principal. The principal proceeds to shout, not once, but several times: (paraphrased) "You can't T me! I'm not gonna pay you! You call a T on me and you're not getting paid!" After a brief pause, (maybe to wait for a break in the uproar) the ref said to the scorer, "Whether I get paid or not, that's a technical foul on him."

This is much more than a basketball issue, this needs to be taken to his superiors and the school board. He should be working at McDonald's (not offense to McD's) not molding our children.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What GoodWillRef said!

Personally, I woulda done things slightly different. Please don't take that as any kind of criticism of the official that called the "T" though. It sureasheck isn't; it's great for all of his fellow officials that he had the testicular fortitude to nail the jerk in his own school. Big ups to him. I wouldn't have called a technical foul. Just have the principal removed from the gym very publicly and promptly by game management. If he doesn't leave within...say...one minute, suspend the game. If game management doesn't want to make him leave, suspend the game. No matter what, make a complete incident report to the league, your assignor, your association, everyone that you can think of. Maybe anonymously mail a copy to the local newspaper.

If this clown was a registered official in our association, he would be an unregistered official very, very quickly.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What GoodWillRef said!

Personally, I woulda done things slightly different. Please don't take that as any kind of criticism of the official that called the "T" though. It sureasheck isn't; it's great for all of his fellow officials that he had the testicular fortitude to nail the jerk in his own school. Big ups to him. I wouldn't have called a technical foul. Just have the principal removed from the gym very publicly and promptly by game management. If he doesn't leave within...say...one minute, suspend the game. If game management doesn't want to make him leave, suspend the game. No matter what, make a complete incident report to the league, your assignor, your association, everyone that you can think of. Maybe anonymously mail a copy to the local newspaper.

If this clown was a registered official in our association, he would be an unregistered official very, very quickly.
JR your comments are right on here!
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:43am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just have the principal removed from the gym very publicly and promptly by game management. If he doesn't leave within...say...one minute, suspend the game. If game management doesn't want to make him leave, suspend the game. No matter what, make a complete incident report to the league, your assignor, your association, everyone that you can think of.
Dollars to Doughnuts, "game management" got the "T".
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation last season we had a big cross-town rival girl’s game. At the end of the first half we are walking out of the gym and a person that was obviously working for one of the schools yells at my partner and me. When we got to the locker room I asked the AD if he knew that person and he said he would find out for us what his function at the game is. When he came back to get us he told us the person in question is the police liaison for the visiting school. I told the AD he should talk to him because it won't look good when I file a report with the state association that I ejected the police liaison, and I won't hesitate to do so. We didn't hear another word from this gentleman the rest of the game. Game management controlling game management!
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Yeah.....sad, ain't it?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Question

Make you wonder how he reacts when a teacher doesn't pass his star (Jr. High) player.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Where was the jerk sitting? If he's on the bench you can whack him, twice even and report it to your state. Otherwise I agree with everyone else, get him out of the gym. I wouldn't be shy about holding up the game so everyone knows who is leaving. Maybe a little embarassment would get him to shut his cakehole.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:09am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
You got it. In this place, the guy in question is all there is as far as game management. I wasn't there and didn't see exactly how things went, but the account I got was from a good source. Under the circumstances, I think the ref probably did the best thing he could do. If he tries to kick the guy out, who knows what happens, he shuts the whole thing down and tries to turn it around and blame the official or.....? This way, there's a BIG T in the home book with Mr. Idiot Principal's name written beside it for future generations to see. One can only hope this might serve as a reminder and help to deter this in the future, but knowing what I do about the man, I am not optimistic.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Any person sitting in the stands that reacts like that guy did deserves to be removed. I have great stories most of the time and here is another one:

A few years ago, a friend of mine was at a small school here in Ky (old gym, overhang seats and no room to work). A fan was giving my buddy down the road and he asked him to be removed (he asked the AD). He refused. He then went to the police officer at the end of the court and he refused. My bud then asked the officer "Why won't you do what I ask?" The police officer replied "That's my boss"! It was the Mayor of the small town. He still refused to leave and the game was forfited. (Yes this is a true story, but it was too long ago to post a link to a story, which made the AP wire the next day!)

So no matter who they are toss them!

Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Where was the jerk sitting? If he's on the bench you can whack him, twice even and report it to your state. Otherwise I agree with everyone else, get him out of the gym. I wouldn't be shy about holding up the game so everyone knows who is leaving. Maybe a little embarassment would get him to shut his cakehole.
Don't forget to stare at his pants.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The principal proceeds to shout, not once, but several times: (paraphrased) "You can't T me! I'm not gonna pay you! You call a T on me and you're not getting paid!"
That's another reason why its best to get paid first if at all possible.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sounds like the partner could have come in with the second one. And I think the school board should come in with the suspension.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

If you had for example an ***. coach who did something that he needed to be ejected from the game. Do you guys call a T on him and give a signal ( ex. throwing a ball and say you're outta here) after the T or do you call the T and then tell the head coach his ***. coach has to leave. I've never had this situation but was wondering what would be the best procedure to handle this .