The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Exclamation

After 20+ years of calling games, numbered in the 1000s, from every level from pee-wee to D1, you would think that you can handle anything that can be thrown at you during a game. At least I did until Tuesday night. That was the night that a player died on the floor during a game.

The reality that, instead of being in control of the situation, I was a helpless bystander as paramedics worked on the young man brought to reality in my mind how insignificant the game is, the time we devote to it, and all the accolades and honors bestoyed during the years.

What is more important now is the thoughts of all the times that I sacrificed by family and job in order to work a game. Yes, it was and still is important to me. But the reality check that was thrown in my face was very eyeopening.

I truly hope none of my fellow officials ever have to deal with such a situation, as I am sure that you did not talk about it during your pregame.

The rallying of many of my fellow officials to me after the game shows that we are indeed a very compashionate and caring group of individuals, and it has been very uplifting for me. I will be back on the court today, with a brand new perspective on the game.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I do not know where you officiate but I would be out there on the court with you today if I could! Hang in there.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 11:02am
In Memoriam

"On the wings of Time grief flys away." - Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695)
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
BigWhistle, I don't know where in Texas you are, but I will be taking the floor tonight in Texas too. I will say a prayer for you. We can get through this. Remember why you are there. It is for the kids. Not our big fat egos. They raced at Rockingham after Dale Died. We go on but we never forget.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

a wake up call

Bigwhistle: two years ago I was officiating a rec league game. An AD of the local school district showed up at half time. He was older, but in condition. His play was not that skilled, and was aggressive, and he could be a tough fellow to officiate at times. At the end of the game he walked over to the bench, dropped to the ground and, after cpr failed, he died on the floor. All you can do in that situation is be ready to help. And, as far as the bigger things in life, and in officiating basketball, keep in mind that each player, no matter how he or she may act in a heated game, is a person with family, friends and a full life that he or she will go back to after the game. - Kelly