The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Correctable errors

Team A is awarded two free throws after being fouled while in the act of shooting, but the first attempt is missed and the ball is rebounded ny team B. Team B then dribbles down to the other end and gets fouled ,but they are not in the one and one. Before putting the ball back in play the referee realizes that team A was supposed to get another free throw attempt. What should be done?
I should know this ,but I have never had this happen to me until last night. Thank God it was a junior high game. We went to the other end and let the player from Team A shoot the other free throw which he made, and then we brought the ball back to the point of interruption and let Team B inbound it. Was we right or not? I was a little embarrased about the whole thing. I been doing Varsity games for 10 years and I just could not remember the ruling, but I sure was glad it was Junior High. We did catch the mistake before we had two dead balls.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I believe you got it right. This is a correctable error, merited free throw not given. You can't put the time back on the clock or take away the foul. Once you found the error and awarded the free throw, the ball should have been given to B at the POI.

Good call, but correct me if I am wrong in any aspect.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref
Team A is awarded two free throws after being fouled while in the act of shooting, but the first attempt is missed and the ball is rebounded ny team B. Team B then dribbles down to the other end and gets fouled ,but they are not in the one and one. Before putting the ball back in play the referee realizes that team A was supposed to get another free throw attempt. What should be done?
Was this noticed during the first dead ball after the clock has started? Sounds like that to me based on what you said. Just go back to shooting the second FT and then go back to the POI when you noticed the mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref
I should know this ,but I have never had this happen to me until last night. Thank God it was a junior high game. We went to the other end and let the player from Team A shoot the other free throw which he made, and then we brought the ball back to the point of interruption and let Team B inbound it. Was we right or not? I was a little embarrased about the whole thing. I been doing Varsity games for 10 years and I just could not remember the ruling, but I sure was glad it was Junior High. We did catch the mistake before we had two dead balls.
There are many rules that you will never learn very well until they happen to you. The correctable error rule is one of those rules that a lot of people are shaky on.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Under FIBA rules:

this is a correcteble error. The freethrow should be shotby A's player. Then you let Team B shot any ft they were awarded after team A's foul or they get the ball (just as after any foul).
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

We took like a minute or so to decide this. I wanted to make sure we were doing the right thing. I could hear a few fans saying they don't know what they are doing, but I was gonna take as much time as I needed. Oh yeah by the way Team A made the free throw we awarded him which put them ahaead by two. Team B inbounded the ball and scored to send it into O.T. Yeah so you can see where I wanted to get it right, and I think we did. Team A won the game.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you notice 4 out of the 5 correctable errors involve FTs. You can easily prevent them if you just make sure what you are doing before you shoot any FT. If you are unsure if you are shooting 2 FTs or a 1 and 1 as an example, then stop everything until all officials are sure what is going on. You might have just let your guard down like many of us do during those kinds of games.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you notice 4 out of the 5 correctable errors involve FTs. You can easily prevent them if you just make sure what you are doing before you shoot any FT. If you are unsure if you are shooting 2 FTs or a 1 and 1 as an example, then stop everything until all officials are sure what is going on. You might have just let your guard down like many of us do during those kinds of games.

Peace
Most correctable errors I've experienced/seen have been due to misinformation from the table...even after doiuble checking the foul count with the table. In those cases, the officials getting together wouldn't fix anything. It doesn't matter how attentive you are, some things are just out of your control.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Most correctable errors I've experienced/seen have been due to misinformation from the table...even after doiuble checking the foul count with the table. In those cases, the officials getting together wouldn't fix anything. It doesn't matter how attentive you are, some things are just out of your control.
That's why my eyes hit the scoreboard after every foul. And if the team fouls aren't posted on the scoreboard then I track them in my head. We're the ones who have to answer to the boss after all is said and done.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

You'd still have the same ruling without the 2nd foul (it could have just been a violation or timeout that stops the clock). The rebound by B is the "change of possession". From that point until the correctable window expires (live ball after dead ball after clock has run), the resolution is the same.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That's why my eyes hit the scoreboard after every foul. And if the team fouls aren't posted on the scoreboard then I track them in my head. We're the ones who have to answer to the boss after all is said and done.
Still I've had it happen where I was counting, thought we should be shooting two, but the table said 1+1. I went to the table, had them recount and recount again. They had 9 fouls. We shoot 1+1. A1 missed the first. B rebounds, outlets to midcourt, where they call timeout. (They were now down by 1 with under 5 seconds to go). B draws up a play for a winning two pointer. At the end of the timeout, the neutral scorer says..."Uh, ref, I messed up. It should have been two." Crap. We go back to the line for A1's 2nd shot...which is made. B's winning play is now only good for a tie and they've already burned the timeout.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still I've had it happen where I was counting, thought we should be shooting two, but the table said 1+1. I went to the table, had them recount and recount again. They had 9 fouls. We shoot 1+1. A1 missed the first. B rebounds, outlets to midcourt, where they call timeout. (They were now down by 1 with under 5 seconds to go). B draws up a play for a winning two pointer. At the end of the timeout, the neutral scorer says..."Uh, ref, I messed up. It should have been two." Crap. We go back to the line for A1's 2nd shot...which is made. B's winning play is now only good for a tie and they've already burned the timeout.
Wow, who was the home team? What did you say or explain to Team B's coach?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Wow, who was the home team? What did you say or explain to Team B's coach?
It was a men's league on a neutral court. The "captain/coach" did say much about it because he was aware that we double checked and he knew that the other team deserved the FT.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You still can prevent this by taking your time. I agree that ultimately it is out of your hands. I know I can tell when we are close to the bonus. When I am not close I tell my partners who the shoot is and ask the table a coupe of times (or my partners) "Are we in the bonus." Now this is easier when you have a scoreboard with the team fouls. It is not very common anymore to see a scoreboard with only the bonus light. I also tend to ask when I get a change, "How many team fouls do we have?" So you can do a lot of things to make sure we are close to the bonus. I may not prevent all situations, but you can keep everyone on their toes.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Camron, I'm not dumping on you but how can you go to the table and then walk away without a final, definitive answer? Simply asking the official scorer (I'm assuming that's the "neutral scorer") to show you each and every foul in his book for that half and then asking the unofficial scorer (apparently there was one) if he agrees would have prevented any subsequent problem. If the scorebook *shows* 9 fouls and you agree that is correct then you're going to shoot 1&1. If you had definite knowledge the scorer missed a foul then fix it right then & shoot the 2. In any event settle it completely before you leave. Then when he buzzes you back over the scorer will need to explain exactly where the 10th foul came from and why it wasn't there when you and he went over this the first time.

This way your correctable error would have been avoided.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Camron, I'm not dumping on you but how can you go to the table and then walk away without a final, definitive answer?
probably about the same way an official can over-rule his partner's call without getting his input....

Who cares about a final, definitive answer? Don't wanna interrupt the ol' game flow.