The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 25, 2001, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Scanning through my notebook, and remembering past problems, found this interesting situation:

Good, fast two games (not varsity!), second game ends, go straight to the car and Get Outta Dodge. Drive 25 minutes and... AUGHH!!! Can't even stand up!! Stiff and sore, and barely hobble to the house. Physical trainer says, cool-down is very important to prevent injury later. Any suggestions to cool down in the car? I'm talking exercise cool down, not temper!!
Old Sat Aug 25, 2001, 08:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Scanning through my notebook, and remembering past problems, found this interesting situation:

Good, fast two games (not varsity!), second game ends, go straight to the car and Get Outta Dodge. Drive 25 minutes and... AUGHH!!! Can't even stand up!! Stiff and sore, and barely hobble to the house. Physical trainer says, cool-down is very important to prevent injury later. Any suggestions to cool down in the car? I'm talking exercise cool down, not temper!!
Try getting one of those foot pedal cars like in The Flintstones.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Stretching

Try taking about 10 minutes in the dressing room and go through a series of stretches. Stretching "after" an event is more important than before.
I believe there is little benefit to stretching before an event and can actually cause problems.
A lot of drivers will warm up the engine of their car/truck and give little thought to the other moving parts. I.e. the drivetrain, tires, wheel bearings, transmission, etc. I will start my truck and drive it slowly (until the engine is at normal operating temperature) letting the whole vehicle warmup.
I treat my body the same way. I warmup doing what I'm going to be doing, like running flats, running hills, jumping, quick turns, short sprints.... I start out slow but go through the same motions.
After the workout (game), when you automatically start to cool down, the muscles are immediately starting to tighten or shorten in length. This is when you need to work on them. 1. Try to maintain their length by stretching.
2. Massage afterward is nice (Works much better if you're not the driver). Starting at points furthest form the heart and working the muscles back toward the heart.
3. Put on a pair of tights. This will force the blood vessels closer to the muscles to assist in taking away the lactic acid buildup produced by the muscles as a by-product of your workout. In warmer environments, the blood vessels will move toward the skin's surface to aid in cooling the body by cooling the blood.
4. Have a pen/pencil in hand to sign autographs as you leave the dressing room as you've now also given up enough time for any fans you may have attracted to come cheer you onto your vehicle.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't know that you can cool down properly in the car. Probably the best thing to do is park on the far side of the parking lot where you have a long walk to your car. In my younger days when I was running cross country in college, we would often jog around the course after a race as our cool down. Obviously this isn't doable in your situation but by walking across the lot you get the same effect.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Stretching

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Try taking about 10 minutes in the dressing room ...
The problem here is , I'm not far enough up the reffing ladder to get a dressing room.

I like Tim's idea of parking quite a ways from the building.

I talked to a woman this weekend who said she carries a different T-shirt, (and jacket if necessary) to change into immediately after the game. Then she spends about five minutes cooling down somewhere close by. Since she is not wearing her stripes, she doesn't attract attention.

I was hoping someone might have a set of exercises, such as those you see printed in airline magazines for use when restricted for a long time in a small area. I've tried the airline ones, but they seem to be designed for a different purpose and don't really help. Also some of them are hard to do at 65 mph.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Why won't they give you a locker room?

I would insist on at least some place other than the rest room.

I have been put in broom closets before, but at least they were private.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Brian

So, the truth be known.... You are out of the closet
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose when you look at it that way....

My personal fav was the "cage" a MS in my first year put us in.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 03:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - I have two words for you - "compression shorts." They work really well for me. Of course the real key is to get Howard to assign you games closer to your house - maybe at the Rocky Butte jail
Old Mon Aug 27, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

$.99 Whoppers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I don't know that you can cool down properly in the car. Probably the best thing to do is park on the far side of the parking lot where you have a long walk to your car. In my younger days when I was running cross country in college, we would often jog around the course after a race as our cool down. Obviously this isn't doable in your situation but by walking across the lot you get the same effect.
Rainmaker
Running races that last more than 10 hr. kinda makes warm-downs a moot point. Seems that runners though are about the only athletes that seem to take warm-downs seriously. Even the ball players don't do much outside of shaking hands, cutting down nets, kicking the bleacher, yelling all kinds of things, and hugging the cheerleaders.
I spoke with some of my running buddies at today's jog. Although 2 of them are constantly surfing the net for all kinds of information, none of them recall any canned excercise programs, like those provided by the airlines. But they concurred with what I said earlier and with what Tim said above.
I suppose that the bottom line is: Do whatever you can before you have to take that long trip home. I personally try to walk to the nearest Carl's Jr., Burger King, or Taco Bell and try to eat something really healthy!

Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 12:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: $.99 Whoppers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
I personally try to walk to the nearest Carl's Jr., Burger King, or Taco Bell and try to eat something really healthy!
Reminds me of the times I rode my bicycle to try to lose weight. The problem was that I would ride it to Baskin-Robbins.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I'll have two Big Macs.....

Super Sized Fries.... and a DIET Coke.

Hey, a person's gotta watch what they eat! Seems to me the "See Food diet" has been my downfall. I see food, I eat it.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't know about basketball some days. It is the only sport I can think of where the substitutes don't warm up before entering the game. Yea, there is general warmup before the game, but if you don't get into the game until the 4th quarter, then you go into the game cold. Same with cooldown. You are required to go straight from the floor to the bench. I used to wonder why I couldn't get my track athletes to take warmup and cool down seriously until I paid attention to what happened on the bench in basketball.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know about basketball some days. It is the only sport I can think of where the substitutes don't warm up before entering the game. Yea, there is general warmup before the game, but if you don't get into the game until the 4th quarter, then you go into the game cold.
Don't forget about half time....

Quote:
Same with cooldown. You are required to go straight from the floor to the bench. I used to wonder why I couldn't get my track athletes to take warmup and cool down seriously until I paid attention to what happened on the bench in basketball.
What happened?

Find a farmer that has a pig with 3 legs, he'll probably tell you what a fine pig he has..... And that fine pigs like that you don't eat all at once..

Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: $.99 Whoppers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Reminds me of the times I rode my bicycle to try to lose weight. The problem was that I would ride it to Baskin-Robbins. [/B]
Williebfree has the answer Mark..... You should have had a Diet Coke with you Entree from Baskin-Robbins....