LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I don't know about basketball some days. It is the only sport I can think of where the substitutes don't warm up before entering the game. Yea, there is general warmup before the game, but if you don't get into the game until the 4th quarter, then you go into the game cold.
Don't forget about half time....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Same with cooldown. You are required to go straight from the floor to the bench. I used to wonder why I couldn't get my track athletes to take warmup and cool down seriously until I paid attention to what happened on the bench in basketball.
What happened?

Yea, there is always halftime. That still doesn't help when they come into the game with 2:00 left in the 4th period.

As far as what happened? I coached track at a small school where every athlete played every sport. So come track season they came from basketball and we ran them in whatever event we thought they could run. I had some kids who thought a proper warmup was sitting under a blanket with there girlfriend or boyfriend. And they expect to run a 200m dash without risk of injury on a 40 deg day with blustury winds. Give me a break. We didn't see any serious injury the year I coached but I didn't see any steller performances either.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

TIM

Ah, to be young and limber again.

I recall "back in the days" when I could do just about anything without any stretching. (With age, this is not the case anymore) My point is "Stretching" is an individual thing that each athlete learns to accomodate.