The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

"Certification" in Oregon means that you first must pass Test 2 Closed book with a score of 75%. This means that along with other factors you are allowed to work Varsity schedules. Just passing the test DOES NOT mean you get a varsity game but failing the test means that you cannot work varsity games.

The next step is you must pass that Test 2 with a score of 95% to work a state level playoff game.

Of course getting a 95% does not mean you WILL get a playoff game it means that you are eligible.

Regards,
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Tim,

In Oregon does your reference to the "Test 2" mean that your state makes their own test instead of using the NF testing process?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The test that is provided for us is the actual test we have to pass. We can take it online or fill out a scantron and send it to our state office. It is also an open book test and we can review answers with fellow officials and our associations.
Quote:
In our state we still have to pass the test. If you do not actually pass the test you will put yourself on probation that will make you ineligible for post season and possibly suspend your license if you do not pass the test two years in a row.
So something that is a requirement for postseason eligibility in your state can actually be written by another official or group of people from your association! That's really a wonderful system. Doing it that way really allows the state office to find out which officials know the rules...NOT.

If one official doesn't pass the exam, do ALL of the people who helped him also fail? Perhaps the entire association should be put on probation?

I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Kurt is just going to select the people who agree with him on correctable errors.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So something that is a requirement for postseason eligibility in your state can actually be written by another official or group of people from your association! That's really a wonderful system. Doing it that way really allows the state office to find out which officials know the rules...NOT.

If one official doesn't pass the exam, do ALL of the people who helped him also fail? Perhaps the entire association should be put on probation?

I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Kurt is just going to select the people who agree with him on correctable errors.
Here in Vermont, we have a refresher test that we all 'take' and then there are several meetings throughout the state in November. We form small groups 5 or 6 and discuss the questions assigned to our group. We have to be prepared to defend our answers which are sometimes correct and sometimes not. The state interpreter conducts these meetings. I am guessing this is closer to what Rut is trying to explain than what you are trying to project what he is explaining.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

So does anyone have any of these tests online? If so, can someone please reply with a link so we can all do some prep-work before the season starts?

thanks
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Here in Vermont, we have a refresher test that we all 'take' and then there are several meetings throughout the state in November. We form small groups 5 or 6 and discuss the questions assigned to our group. We have to be prepared to defend our answers which are sometimes correct and sometimes not. The state interpreter conducts these meetings. I am guessing this is closer to what Rut is trying to explain than what you are trying to project what he is explaining.
If you're talking about the IAABO refresher test, then it is completely different.

The bottom line is that every state pretty much sets their own testing criteria. You really can't compare state vs. state.

My point was that it doesn't really matter what a state uses. If the officials in that state are getting their exam and answers before they have to write, then they are cheating- plain and simple.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I don't care if people discuss the questions and debate the answers in groups. That is highly instructive and a great learning experience.

I do care that this "test" is then used to determine postseason eligibility. In my opinion, that's just not proper.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
So does anyone have any of these tests online? If so, can someone please reply with a link so we can all do some prep-work before the season starts?

thanks
These tests aren't prep work, per se. They are the actual test that is required to be passed for certification in some states.

If you needed to pass a college exam to get a credit, do you really think that exam paper should be put on-line and shared before the exam? Somehow, I don't think the university would think much of that idea.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"Certification" in Oregon means that you first must pass Test 2 Closed book with a score of 75%. This means that along with other factors you are allowed to work Varsity schedules. Just passing the test DOES NOT mean you get a varsity game but failing the test means that you cannot work varsity games.

The next step is you must pass that Test 2 with a score of 95% to work a state level playoff game.

Of course getting a 95% does not mean you WILL get a playoff game it means that you are eligible.

Regards,
uhhum, not quite right.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't care if people discuss the questions and debate the answers in groups. That is highly instructive and a great learning experience.

I do care that this "test" is then used to determine postseason eligibility. In my opinion, that's just not proper.
Agree....if the test is used to determine anything, it's not proper to have the exam and answers beforehand.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
Actually, the post season requirement is 90%, not 95%, and it is open book according to the OSAA officials handbook.

The 75% is not just for varisty but all games requiring OSAA officails (JV included). Not passing the test by the deadline means NO high school games at all. For an official certified in the previous year, a score below 75% after 3 tries is dropped until the next season (again according to the OSAA handbook).
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tim,

In Oregon does your reference to the "Test 2" mean that your state makes their own test instead of using the NF testing process?

Peace
No, we use the test published by the NFHS marked "Part 2".
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Nevada,

There are so many factors for playoff consideration. I really do not want to go into all of them. If you feel the test is that important, then I am sure your state makes you happy by the way they use them. In our state we are observed and where we live are huge factors in who gets assignments. Also the current system is basically a system that was created by the one and only Mary Struckoff when she was the over the Official's Department and long before Kurt was giving the responsibility parts of basketball. So if you want someone to blame, put in on Mary. Hell every old-timer in our state does, you might as well join the list.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
These tests aren't prep work, per se. They are the actual test that is required to be passed for certification in some states.

If you needed to pass a college exam to get a credit, do you really think that exam paper should be put on-line and shared before the exam? Somehow, I don't think the university would think much of that idea.
What about L-Sat classes or S.A.T. classes? They have sample questions too, correct? Why not for our tests then??

I also think all University courses should have mandatory sample tests available online for students to use as a study guide. This way, everyone can use these sample tests to study and learn from it. Think about it, the students still have to read, study, and remember the questions.

So if these sample tests can help students score higher on their test thus receiving a higher grade – then why not? This should be the same for officiating. We are all here to better ourselves. So if there are sample questions from the past, why can't we use it to study?

OFFICIATING, however is competitive, so I wouldn't be surprise why people choose to keep such info to themselves....it's just a cruel industry!
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I also think all University courses should have mandatory sample tests available online for students to use as a study guide. This way, everyone can use these sample tests to study and learn from it. Think about it, the students still have to read, study, and remember the questions.
Brilliant idea. Because, after all, life is a neverceasing series of one test question after another. And if we can just remember all those questions on those sample tests, we'll all be wildly successful and prosperous.

But wait, my boss and my wife and my kids keep asking me questions that were never on any test I ever took in college. And then there are all the daily challenges and problems that we never talked about in class.

Good think I actually learned how to learn and think and solve problems instead of worrying about what questions might be on a test. I mean, I'd hate to end up like the complete ****ing idiots in the back of the classroom who were always asking, "Will this be on the test?"

But perhaps I'm being too harsh. After all, every society needs people to collect the garbage.