The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Distance travel for games

Hey guys I was just wondering how far you have to travel to your games. The farthest I have to travel is up to 2 ( yes 2) hours one way to 3 schools that our association officates, from my house. Blocking those schools is not an option for us I usually get those games on a weeknight and dont get into bed until well after midnight
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaref
Hey guys I was just wondering how far you have to travel to your games. The farthest I have to travel is up to 2 ( yes 2) hours one way to 3 schools that our association officates, from my house. Blocking those schools is not an option for us I usually get those games on a weeknight and dont get into bed until well after midnight
Our association covers 1 school that is about that distance. Most of their home games are on Friday Night/Saturday day, so you go there on Friday, stay the night, and then work Saturday. Usually do 1 JV game and then 2 V games (boys and girls) on each day.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
the longest I've travelled is 1 hour I think, but that is with bus. With car, max 30 minutes, hardly even that. I live outside the second largest city in sweden (wich compared to some of the us citys is nothing, 750 000 inhabitants I think) so I get all my games around here, most of the for the local club and that's 15 minutes drive/30 minutes with bus so I never have to travel far.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
HS, max is 40 minutes. It's not even that far. It's just in a tough place to get to. NCAA, max is about 3.5 hours drive.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:47am
In Memoriam

For High school games, I have traveled from 4-1/2 minutes to 4-1/2 hours.
Travel pay is $ 0.25/ mile.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Furthest high school is 75 miles from local area. 2-man crew gets $20 ($10/person) and passenger customerily pays driver $10 up front.

JuCo, my closest school is 2 1/2 hours away, with most 3-4 hours away. No travel pay.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
HS, max is 40 minutes. It's not even that far. It's just in a tough place to get to. NCAA, max is about 3.5 hours drive.
That NCAA one may change......
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

High School - I think my furthest last year was 55 miles one way from the house.

We do not get travel pay for reg season games in Ohio so if you dont want to drive - dont work for that assignor.

For me in Cincinnati, the normal drive is 15-30 from the office and then 15-30ish to the post game location (home or local brown pop establishment)
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:02am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Furthest I have gone one way is 90 miles. Most trips are at least 35 miles.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I have a question for most. Officiating is not my primary form of employment. Typcial Varsity games in my region are Tue, Thurs and Friday. When a double header Girls/Boy , the girls start at 6:00Pm and immediately following are the boys. It's no problem when I do boys. 8:00 Pm is a typical start unless OT. Both of the association I work for would like Varisty official to be there for pregame 45 to 60 minute before game time. How do you most of you manage if you have a game time of 6:00pm and considering you also have a 45 min pregame conference with partners. How do you travel 50 to 60 miles and get there in time? In northern VA you might as well forget getting there on time if you have to travel 50 miles during rush hour. How do you do it? I have to turn down the 50 miler games..

Last edited by Ref_ Fred; Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 11:26am.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

We cover games up to 60 miles away from my home but typically games are within 30 miles and we receive no mileage.

Our association requires us to arrive 30 minutes before game time. We have many who arrive at least an hour before game time, this gives them time to relax and unwind before there game and offers a buffer should there be an issue with traffic. However, there are many times, especially with sub-varsity games, when partners arrive less than 10 minutes before game time. Because of my schedule, many times during the season I will work a early sub-varsity game and then a varsity game at another location. The pre-game more times is nothing more than introduction to each other and lets get captains. My opinion is that if you cannot get there at least 30 minutes before game time, don't accept the game. It is not fair to player and coaches wondering if they are only going to have 1 official work there game and it is not right to your partner who is wondering if you are going to show up.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have never gone further than an hour away for high school.... NCAA is a different story, I've traveled entirely too far for games!

In our high school association we don't get paid milage. If we travel more than 50 miles one way, we get an extra $10 to our game fee, and $20 if we travel more than 100 miles one way. The funny part about traveling 100 miles one way is it's NH... the widest part of the state is only 114 miles. You'd have to be traveling far up north to make 100 miles one way.

Last edited by Official99; Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 12:10pm.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:23pm
9 times

In the Salt Lake City area, for HS the farthest is 250 mi one way (the last 50 on a dirt road and no gas stations!). JUCO is now about 200 mi one way and NAIA is in town.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
3.5 hrs? That's like from where you live to Fort Ticonderoga, right? Any chance you'll get to Chattanooga, Tennessee? I hear there's a small bar & grill there, if you want to stop for a short one.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Somewhat depends. If I'm doing the solo act, I usually try and keep it within an hour. But, if I'm lucky enough to be traveling with someone... I'll pack my bag (uhh, M&M would probably say I just need to pack the rest of my gear bag ) for where ever.