The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

First varsity game..

Same as previous, newer official 3rd year. My question isn't about rules or interpetations, it about conversing with the coach. Three man I'm the C. right next to the coach. A1 bring ball up court, A2 comes from the block to the wing to set a pick for a1. B2 who is guarding a2 bumps her minor contact i thought but it made the screen move alittle and b1 runs into her. B's coach who is standing next to me says "you got to be kidding, you stood right there and let her throw an illegal screen." I told him politely that it was his player who caused the whole mess, there was no advantaged gain as the ball went out of bounds off of B. Coach B gets upset and starts reciting his unique version of the rule book. Ball changes direction and then quickly back. A1 then dribbles to same wing, and picks up dribble, pivots a few times and then pumps like she is going to pass the ball, however, her pivot foot comes up in the air and she balances on her front foot for about 3 seconds until she finally passes to a team mate. He goes bonkers again, wanting a travel. I explain that it is not a travel until she touchs her pivot foot down with the ball. He again assures me that i do not know the rules. Question is this, how to you converse with a coach who is rating you, who really doesn't know the rules.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrefalot
Same as previous, newer official 3rd year. My question isn't about rules or interpetations, it about conversing with the coach. Three man I'm the C. right next to the coach. A1 bring ball up court, A2 comes from the block to the wing to set a pick for a1. B2 who is guarding a2 bumps her minor contact i thought but it made the screen move alittle and b1 runs into her. B's coach who is standing next to me says "you got to be kidding, you stood right there and let her throw an illegal screen." I told him politely that it was his player who caused the whole mess, there was no advantaged gain as the ball went out of bounds off of B. Coach B gets upset and starts reciting his unique version of the rule book. Ball changes direction and then quickly back. A1 then dribbles to same wing, and picks up dribble, pivots a few times and then pumps like she is going to pass the ball, however, her pivot foot comes up in the air and she balances on her front foot for about 3 seconds until she finally passes to a team mate. He goes bonkers again, wanting a travel. I explain that it is not a travel until she touchs her pivot foot down with the ball. He again assures me that i do not know the rules. Question is this, how to you converse with a coach who is rating you, who really doesn't know the rules.

You struck a very touchy cord with me in your last sentence. Why do they let coaches rate officials? Nobody knows this answer not even Jurassic Referee! Most coaches don't know the rules, mechanics or coverage areas. IMO you have to officiate the game and the rating process can never enter into your mind during the game.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

He's just working you because he knows you're a newer official. Obviously, this is in the first half, so go ahead and nip it.

"Coach, you and I aren't going to be able to talk if you're going to complain about every play you see."

If he doesn't get the message, "Coach, I've heard enough." And give him a stop sign.

Hopefully, he'll get the message.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Question is this, how to you converse with a coach who is rating you, who really doesn't know the rules.
Regardless of whether or not the coach is rating you, I would reply with short informative phrases. Not even whole sentences. "No travel till the pivot comes back down, Coach". "Incidental contact on that screen, Coach." If the coach persists, you have other ways of dealing with it.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Keep your focus on the game and let the coach say anything he wants until he goes over board and as long as he stays in the coaches box let him whine, next time bring him some cheese with his whine. If he says anything that you feel is not acceptable Whack HIM.

If you watched WNBA, Bill Lambieer was riding the officials through the whole series, some may have whacked him and some tolerated him. As RON REF said in a different post tolerance is different for each person. You will learn with time when enough is enough..
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I'm only 23 and am starting my sixth season, my weakest point is handling coaches. I was pretty firey starting out, I whacked almost all my coaches i think . Nowdays I don't have as much trouble with them, but I am labeled as the hothead, which I admit I don't mind having that rep, cuz I still work the big games. Everyone calls me little Javie, lol. My point is, we all got different tolerance levels, but when enuff is enuff, don't be afraid to handle it.

I've worked with older guys who are proud they haven't called a T in ten years...TEN YEARS! Guys like that are the ones who makes guys like me look like hotheads cuz we handle stuff they let go. JMO, later dude
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
He again assures me that i do not know the rules. Question is this, how to you converse with a coach who is rating you, who really doesn't know the rules.
It really would depend on the system you are under. I work in a system where coaches can rate us and it really is not that big of a deal. Also if a coach thinks you messed up, it does not matter whether you think you were perfect, this is not going to change the coach's opinion. I would not spend any more time trying to convince a coach that can rate me as compared to an official that will not rate me. Just treat the coach the same way you would if he was not rating you. Even if the coach is not rating you, it is not like they could not complain or tell people you kicked a rule. In a system where there are no ratings, the coach’s word might hold more water. So do not get too caught up in the rating system. Worry about those things you can actually control.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

JRUT, Well said.. "Work on the things you have control over."...
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BktBallRef's advice is sage. You need to strike that balance between being approachable but not letting a coach disrespect you or get into a situation where he/she is questioning everything. It's a fine line and takes years to master (and even then you will screw it up once in a while).

As far as coaches having input on ratings: I agree that it's out of your control but I also agree that it's just a horrible way to do things. I would hate to work in an area where coaches were allowed any input on official's ratings.

I have seen official's who were afraid to give a well-deserved T to a coach because of what he would do them in his rating. From what I have seen, it leads to much poorer enforcement of bench decorum.

Z
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Why do they let coaches rate officials? Nobody knows this answer not even Jurassic Referee!
Yes, I do.

But I'm not gonna tell you now.

Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Regardless of whether or not the coach is rating you, I would reply with short informative phrases. Not even whole sentences. "No travel till the pivot comes back down, Coach". "Incidental contact on that screen, Coach." If the coach persists, you have other ways of dealing with it.

I don't necessarily like this approach. I feel that you should keep your answers brief. Brief is an ambigious(sp?) amount of time, but if you say short, I don't like that for the plain fact that coaches will think you are being just that, short, with them. Now I haven't heard the tone you are using with these short quips and that could change my mind, but I would rather leave interpretation plays alone. If the coach wants to whine about it while you are still on that end of the floor, let him/her. If you have a moment during a dead ball while the ball is still on that end. Be BRIEF and explain what you SAW (don't say "she caused the contact" or "I thought she caused the contact" One sounds cocky and the other sounds like you are unsure of yourself). If you go to the other end and come back and he is still on you, then something has to be addressed.

I am the opposite of CLH in regards to giving Technicals as he progressed. I came into the game not wanting to give anyone a T. Then I went to my first camp which was ran by NBA officials, and so I developed their philosophy, which is much different from the college guys. For example, If a college coach is off his rocker, going crazy and is getting his butt kicked, the college guys say you should not T him and let him ride it out and take his beating like a man. If a NBA coach is doing the same thing, the NBA guys say don't let him mess with your game and try to screw it up. Whack him and send him. I am considered the hothead of my group as well, but my partners love it cause they know I am going to handle the business part of the game and they can just sit back and relax.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Keep your focus on the game and let the coach say anything he wants until he goes over board and as long as he stays in the coaches box let him whine, next time bring him some cheese with his whine. If he says anything that you feel is not acceptable Whack HIM.
Whining is acceptable?

Maybe to you, not to me. I ain't gonna let a coach whine for very long.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Brief is an ambigious(sp?) amount of time, but if you say short, I don't like that for the plain fact that coaches will think you are being just that, short, with them. Now I haven't heard the tone you are using with these short quips and that could change my mind, but I would rather leave interpretation plays alone.
When it comes to being short with a coach, Chuck doesn't really have a choice.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

That's just not right Jurassic. A total low blow. If I thought of it first I would have put "no pun intended" in my post.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 03:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
That's just not right Jurassic. A total low blow.
Well, where Chuck is involved, it pretty well has to be a low blow.

He has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the azz.