The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

excessive time-out

When is it to late to penalize a coach for taking an excessive time-out? 10-1-7 says penalize when discovered but oviously there has to be a time when it it too late to go back and penalize it. If noticed during the middle of the time-out -- I don't think would be too late. My guess is right up until the ball becomes live.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:52am
In Memoriam

"Penalized when discovered" means exactly what it says. There is no time limit involved, up to the time that the officials have left the visual confines of the floor at the end of the game. You simply administer the team "T" when the official scorer notifies you of the infraction.....i.e.-when it happens or at any time later.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

In high school ball, my understanding is a team can buy an "extra/excessive" time-out with a T. I've always penalized when discovered, but allowed them to finish the time-out. If they want to keep taking excessive time-outs, I will keep giving them T's.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, I am just saying thats how I have done it. Anyone have any idea if this is correct or not?
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

You are correct. They get the time-out and are entitled to use the time at the expense of a team technical foul. Just don't allow this act to be done repeatedly such that it becomes a travesty of the game (5-4-1).
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Actually if you know that a team is out of time outs, you are not required to recognize the request.

If it’s an honest error on the tables or the official’s part for the first one so be it. After that I feel we are giving a game advantage to the team, out of time outs. Then need to manage their time outs more wisely.

JMO
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garote
Actually if you know that a team is out of time outs, you are not required to recognize the request.
Reference, please.

I don't think the section in the rules book about granting a TO contains any phrase similar to what you wrote above. It says (parphrasing) that a TO is granted when requested, and a player of the team is in control of the ball, or the ball is at the disposal of that team, or neither team has control. Period.

Unless, of course, you're talking about other than NCAA or NFHS rules.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I know a lot of people agree with that philosophy, but that is not a good philosophy. For one it is possible that you are not aware of the T.O. situation. It is possible that you were not informed properly. You should not take it into your hands whether a team knows the situation or not. It is each team's responsibility to know how many timeouts. You are putting the other team at a disadvantage by not granting a timeout in this situation.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:30am
In Memoriam

Arrow ...A travesty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are correct. They get the time-out and are entitled to use the time at the expense of a team technical foul. Just don't allow this act to be done repeatedly such that it becomes a travesty of the game (5-4-1).
I never thought about it, but I think that works.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JMO
I was once told by a big time D-1 ref at a camp that if I know a team is out of time-outs, I should "count ceiling tiles" if they try to call another one. (In other words, pretend like I don't see it).

I don't buy that philosophy (but obviously it works for him).

Z
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That's completely wrong. The official IS required to grant a TO if the TO request is made as per NFHS rule 5-8-3. See case book plays 5.12.4SitB and 10.1.7 also.

NCAA rules are the same. The TO request MUST be granted. Ask anyone at the Univ. of Michigan.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NCAA rules are the same. The TO request MUST be granted. Ask anyone at the Univ. of Michigan.
Tell me about it.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's completely wrong. The official IS required to grant a TO if the TO request is made as per NFHS rule 5-8-3. See case book plays 5.12.4SitB and 10.1.7 also.

Is Mark Cuban, or any of the Maverick trolls on this forum, also aware? Or maybe there is some different wording in the NBA rulebook
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 01:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Is Mark Cuban, or any of the Maverick trolls on this forum, also aware? Or maybe there is some different wording in the NBA rulebook
Naw, we looked up the NBA rule way back on that long thread with the Maverick fanboys and the goof that posed as Mark Cuban. The NBA rule is pretty explicit.

NBA rule 5, Section VII-g:
Requests fot a timeout in excess of the authorized number shall be granted and a technical foul shall be assessed. Following the timeout, the ball will be awarded to the opposing team and play shall resume with a throw-in nearest the spot where play was interrupted.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Penalized when discovered" means exactly what it says. There is no time limit involved, up to the time that the officials have left the visual confines of the floor at the end of the game. You simply administer the team "T" when the official scorer notifies you of the infraction.....i.e.-when it happens or at any time later.
So just to confirm; if a coach calls an excessive time-out in the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the middle of the 4th Quarter we discover that it was an excessive time-out you administer a team "T"?
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
So if a coach calls an excessive time-out in the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the middle of the 4th Quarter we discover that it was an excessive time-out you administer a team "T"?
Yes.