The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   excessive time-out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28168-excessive-time-out.html)

oc Wed Sep 06, 2006 09:16pm

excessive time-out

When is it to late to penalize a coach for taking an excessive time-out? 10-1-7 says penalize when discovered but oviously there has to be a time when it it too late to go back and penalize it. If noticed during the middle of the time-out -- I don't think would be too late. My guess is right up until the ball becomes live.

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:52am

"Penalized when discovered" means exactly what it says. There is no time limit involved, up to the time that the officials have left the visual confines of the floor at the end of the game. You simply administer the team "T" when the official scorer notifies you of the infraction.....i.e.-when it happens or at any time later.

Official99 Thu Sep 07, 2006 01:40am

In high school ball, my understanding is a team can buy an "extra/excessive" time-out with a T. I've always penalized when discovered, but allowed them to finish the time-out. If they want to keep taking excessive time-outs, I will keep giving them T's.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, I am just saying thats how I have done it. Anyone have any idea if this is correct or not?

Nevadaref Thu Sep 07, 2006 02:02am

You are correct. They get the time-out and are entitled to use the time at the expense of a team technical foul. Just don't allow this act to be done repeatedly such that it becomes a travesty of the game (5-4-1).

garote Thu Sep 07, 2006 08:07am

Actually if you know that a team is out of time outs, you are not required to recognize the request.

If it’s an honest error on the tables or the official’s part for the first one so be it. After that I feel we are giving a game advantage to the team, out of time outs. Then need to manage their time outs more wisely.

JMO

bob jenkins Thu Sep 07, 2006 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by garote
Actually if you know that a team is out of time outs, you are not required to recognize the request.

Reference, please.

I don't think the section in the rules book about granting a TO contains any phrase similar to what you wrote above. It says (parphrasing) that a TO is granted when requested, and a player of the team is in control of the ball, or the ball is at the disposal of that team, or neither team has control. Period.

Unless, of course, you're talking about other than NCAA or NFHS rules.

JRutledge Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:10am

Quote:

I know a lot of people agree with that philosophy, but that is not a good philosophy. For one it is possible that you are not aware of the T.O. situation. It is possible that you were not informed properly. You should not take it into your hands whether a team knows the situation or not. It is each team's responsibility to know how many timeouts. You are putting the other team at a disadvantage by not granting a timeout in this situation.

Peace

mick Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:30am

...A travesty ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are correct. They get the time-out and are entitled to use the time at the expense of a team technical foul. Just don't allow this act to be done repeatedly such that it becomes a travesty of the game (5-4-1).

I never thought about it, but I think that works.

zebraman Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39am

Quote:

JMO

I was once told by a big time D-1 ref at a camp that if I know a team is out of time-outs, I should "count ceiling tiles" if they try to call another one. (In other words, pretend like I don't see it).

I don't buy that philosophy (but obviously it works for him).

Z

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:52am

Quote:

That's completely wrong. The official <b>IS</b> required to grant a TO if the TO request is made as per NFHS rule 5-8-3. See case book plays 5.12.4SitB and 10.1.7 also.

NCAA rules are the same. The TO request <b>MUST</b> be granted. Ask anyone at the Univ. of Michigan.:)

JRutledge Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NCAA rules are the same. The TO request <b>MUST</b> be granted. Ask anyone at the Univ. of Michigan.:)

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Peace

Raymond Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58pm

Quote:

That's completely wrong. The official <b>IS</b> required to grant a TO if the TO request is made as per NFHS rule 5-8-3. See case book plays 5.12.4SitB and 10.1.7 also.

Is Mark Cuban, or any of the Maverick trolls on this forum, also aware? Or maybe there is some different wording in the NBA rulebook :confused:

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 07, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Is Mark Cuban, or any of the Maverick trolls on this forum, also aware? Or maybe there is some different wording in the NBA rulebook :confused:

Naw, we looked up the NBA rule way back on that long thread with the Maverick fanboys and the goof that posed as Mark Cuban. The NBA rule is pretty explicit.

<u><b>NBA rule 5, Section VII-g:</b></u>
<i>Requests fot a timeout in excess of the authorized number <b>shall</b> be granted and a technical foul <b>shall</b> be assessed. Following the timeout, the ball will be awarded to the opposing team and play shall resume with a throw-in nearest the spot where play was interrupted.</i>

oc Thu Sep 07, 2006 07:20pm

Quote:

"Penalized when discovered" means exactly what it says. There is no time limit involved, up to the time that the officials have left the visual confines of the floor at the end of the game. You simply administer the team "T" when the official scorer notifies you of the infraction.....i.e.-when it happens or at any time later.

So just to confirm; if a coach calls an excessive time-out in the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the middle of the 4th Quarter we discover that it was an excessive time-out you administer a team "T"?

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 07, 2006 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
So if a coach calls an excessive time-out in the middle of the 3rd quarter and in the middle of the 4th Quarter we discover that it was an excessive time-out you administer a team "T"?

Yes.<i></i>