The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Did I get this right.
Team A down by 7 and calls last timeout with 11 seconds. (Clock doesn't have tenths). Team B to have baseline throwin after TO. I notify A coach that he has no more.
As players are coming back on to court A coach tells me he wants a TO if they score. I give him a weird look, but he tells me he understands.
Team A steals inbounds and scores a 3. Down by 4 with 8 seconds left. Time out granted. Technical issued. Team B team and fans laughing a Team A. B1 misses both shots. As we are ready to in bound ball at half court, Team A coach tells my partner the same thing again.
Team A steals inbound. Defender of thrower sprints down court for a long pass and scores a 3. Down by 1 with 4 seconds left. Time out granted. Technical issued. Team B coach is now getting upset. B2 misses both shots. I'm now tableside for the throw in, and Coach A tells me "Let's try it one more time". Fans for both sides are now going crazy. Team B coach is turning white. He asks me if Team A can do that. I tell him yes.
Team B has their best guard handle throwin, but Team A puts their center to guard inbounds pass. After ball is released, he sprints down court. Team A steals inbounds pass. Long pass to center in the paint. Catchs the ball and shoots 10' jumper. Ball in the air as horn goes off. Goes in and Team A wins by 1.
I think all we had was some creative coaching with a lot of luck. What do you think??
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Unorthodox coaching but certainly nothing wrong as far as how you handled it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

The only odd thing in this situation, and you may or may not have done this, is I tell the coach he still needs to call it. I appreciate the heads up so I can look, butI want him to at least signal. This way it follows the rules, and if he has changed his mind, then we don't look like chumps.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
That's a good one! I'm thinking B was lucky to be up by
7 if they couldn't find a player to make even 1 out of 6
free throws and had 3 throw-ins stolen.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
That's a good one! I'm thinking B was lucky to be up by
7 if they couldn't find a player to make even 1 out of 6
free throws and had 3 throw-ins stolen.
It happens! See Maryland-Duke two weeks ago? If not, come to see either of my teams play, cause we're capable of incredible runs and incredible lapses
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bainemc
Cool

This is cool. Without this forum we would not get to put ourselves in situations you and other members find theirselves in. In this way, sort of experiencing things that may never happen to us, or at least if they do, we have a little heads up on how to handle it or how to act.

Thanks for the post.

In my own words: Stinkin Unbelieveable Manuver
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure of the rules that you are working under, but the reference to the Maryland-Duke game would be NCAA and in that case the T would be an indirect and the team should have only shot 1 foul shot. I know that the shots were not hit but in other game giving 2 instead of 1 could be a big difference.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not sure of the rules that you are working under, but the reference to the Maryland-Duke game would be NCAA and in that case the T would be an indirect and the team should have only shot 1 foul shot. I know that the shots were not hit but in other game giving 2 instead of 1 could be a big difference.
Sorry - my reference was to the immediate preceding post about how a team could throw away three inbounds passes and miss all their free throws and have ever been in the lead. Maryland blew a 10 point lead with 54 seconds to play by ditching a couple of inbounds and missing free throws.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
this kind of reminds me how i was doing a varsity girls game. We go into OT, b1 fouls out. B coach says to me, can i add a player to the roster. I said well i suppose so, but it will cost you a technical
Coach says fine. Sends the player to the scorers table. Scorer informs me, we asses the T. A misses both shots, B wins. great coaching move.

Tyler
Old Tue Feb 13, 2001, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Just one more thing with NCAA rules. As of January 1, 2001 the shot clock is NOT reset when the OT and then the (indirect)T is given. In your scenario, this is not an issue, but just for the record...