Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
That's crap - I have a friend that played basketball in the USA. He went to a private high school in New York on a full scholarship. The school payed for his education and he lived with a host family.
I think the point you are missing is the fact that many private schools require payment from parents in this country. This is why a lot of these schools are all one race and one class of people. Of course you cannot say that some people do not get some scholarships, but those might only go so far. If you remember the movie "Hoop Dreams" (It was on ESPN Classic last night BTW), there is a school not far from me called St. Joseph High School. This is a Catholic school and if you remember there was a kid from the movie that attended this school and his parents struggled to pay his way. Now this was about two African-Americans kids that came from lower income households and it was a struggle for those kids to attend that private Catholic school. I also work a lot of Catholic and Private schools and those schools often struggle to find good athletes because they have a smaller pool of kids that are eligible to participate based on ability to pay tuition.

Peace